Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engraved note option

Pioneer
Pioneer

Any plans on allowing the text to curve along edges?  The engraving routine only supports drafting texts to be engraved. It would be great if this text was allowed to curve in plane and one could engrave along a curve and not just a line. 

I understand that I might be able to do this with a profile option with a tracking point... butI think this should be standard. 

Thought about  creating a custom curved text by establishing it first as a custom symbol.. but I have spent much time with this.. 

I recently had to do a fair amount of this... it would be definitely a "nicety".

Thoughts? 

Thanks

14 REPLIES

Re: Engraved note option

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If the curve is an arc, there is a GRIP program "O_TEXT" that automates placing individual letters around an arc.

You then have to pick each letter individually, although I don't know if you can machine them all in one operation or if each letter has to be done in an individual op.

Assumes you have a GRIP execute license ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer
Okay...that sounds a bit crazy....sometimes it's not an arc..usually a combination of arcs and lines...

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Arc?! - Any surface!!

Pioneer
Pioneer
maybe I wasn't specific enough.

The drafting note text used in the engraving function produces a single stroke tool path.

Currently this text is only linear...I was hoping some "in plane" alignment could be done so the text would curve along curves.

Hope this makes sense...

So the problem is not so much the engraving function...but placing these legacy draft notes along a curve.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Have you tried the Curve Text function in combination with Contour Milling and the Curve drive method?

When you select the curves as feature, it will make loops of all closed strings.
Sometimes the order is not very optimized, but it does what it needs to do.

The Curve Text will fit on a curve or a surface also.

Regards,

Gerrit Koelewijn

turuleng wrote:
maybe I wasn't specific enough.

The drafting note text used in the engraving function produces a single stroke tool path.

Currently this text is only linear...I was hoping some "in plane" alignment could be done so the text would curve along curves.

Hope this makes sense...

So the problem is not so much the engraving function...but placing these legacy draft notes along a curve.

The planar_text and coutour_text operations can select drafting or PMI text. So however or wherever you position those characters, we'll cut them. It's not always single stroke - the system follows the strokes in the font definition. 

I suggest you insert the text as a text feature modeling, where you have many more options. Then use Surface Controuing with point/curve drive method, set the selection intent to Feature Curves, and select the text feature.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
I think the current approach is correct...defining the note at the mfg level...I like this flexibility very much...I'll play around with the suggestions...but I don't think we found a silver bullet yet.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note if you use the "modeling" text method (and feature curves/etc.)

The font "Modern" (shipped with Windows) is a "single stroked" font (like NX drafting fonts).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

So looks like curved texts can be dumbed down to a sketch then converted to a PMI custom symbol. 

From here on the text can be selected as usual with the engrave function but I get a no shape error. 

no shape errorno shape error

Learn online

Solution Information