Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Entry Angle in Turning

What is the best way to achieve the toolpath I am looking for?

I would like the spacing on the entry angle to be the same. I need to enter the part at an angle to lessen the impact on the insert since we are turning high nickel alloys. I was able to get the above toolpath using a the Engage settings. I used a negative Safe value. It looks like it is trying to adjust the toolpath for the round insert. I would prefer evenly spaced cuts if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
7 REPLIES

Re: Entry Angle in Turning

Hi Jason - I'm not getting the same results as you.  I'm on NX9.0.3.4 MP6. Of course it's a different part, but I used your method.  I usually just knock the corner off first when I'm using ceramics but I like your method. I noticed all my cuts (cyan) are lined up where yours are at different starting points.

By the way, the ramping cycles in rough turning really add to my insert life.

Are you using a round insert or another style? It works fine with other styles I have tried. If you are using round I may have a different setting somewhere else than you have. I wish there was a way for it to ignore the round insert in a sense. Because even on my face cuts it wants to start some passes at a different 'X' location because of where it thinks the blank is in reference to the insert. I know the guys on the floor wont like that, even if it is slightly more efficient. I've tried alot of different settings but they haven't worked for that particular issue.

I like how the ramp toolpaths look as well. I'm just starting in NX, since we have been using MasterCAM V9 up until now. So I will be exploring alot of the new cutting strategies for insert life.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

That is a round insert.

One last question...

Is the depth of cut less than the radius of your insert? I can get the toolpath to look how I want it if I make the depth of cut more than or equal to the radius of the insert. In the picture about I had a .500" diameter insert taking a .080" DOC.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2
Solution
Solution
Accepted by MarkRief (VIP)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Here's the part.

Thanks for supplying me with your part. I changed the diameter to .500" and the DOC to .08 and the first cut had the odd stepover and start point. It must just be because it is trying to compensate for the insert.

I appreciate your help with this. I am actually using your method of knocking off the corner and then coming in with my ramped O.D. and Face cuts. The material is Inco 718 so I'm sure your method will work great.

NX 10.0.2 PB 10.0.2

Learn online

Solution Information