Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Export Faceted Solid to .stp

I have a need to export my IPW into a Step file so inspection can import it into PC Demis

No issue with getting a facted IPW, exporting seems to be the bottle neck...

Is this possible? Do I have to get a special license?

Thank you for any guidance, Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Lane}

Production: {NX11.01, SP2}

7 REPLIES

Re: Export Faceted Solid to .stp

In Verify 3D and ISV you can create a extra component include the IPW facetted model.

Does that help you?

2017-05-12 11_44_06-NX 11  Build CAM_nx1102.163 - Manufacturing - [sim01_mill_3ax_cam_sinumerik_mm.p.png2017-05-12 11_55_14-NX 11  Build CAM_nx1102.163 - Manufacturing - [sim01_mill_3ax_cam_sinumerik_mm.p.png2017-05-12 11_56_24-NX 11  Build CAM_nx1102.163 - Manufacturing - [sim01_mill_3ax_cam_sinumerik_mm.p.png

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

I think - no. He need export IPW as .stp file, and he want to import this file into another software as b-rep (solid body or sheet body) model.

It is better to transfer the IPW as STL file and all recent CAM systems should support using STL files.

You cannot create a solid body from a faceted body, without a special license for reverse engineering.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Yes, My problem is that I need the Facet IPW to be exported as .stp. for use in the PCDemis inspection software.

This shop was a Gibbs CAM user and Gibbs can do this all day long. We are migrating to NX CAM.

So I kind of need the same functionality.

I will contact my NX VAR about the possibility of an add-in export tool. Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Lane}

Production: {NX11.01, SP2}

This is a STEP translator question. If you don't find an answer, I would post in the Design Forum.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

The basic issue is that the IPW is faceted data, and the other package needs BREF (surface) data.

Other than reverse engineering the IPW (quite the PITA) the only other solution I have seen (very occasionally) is people wrote software to convert STL files into 1000s of really small triangular bounded planes & then sewn them all together (also very ugly) into a solid that could then be exported as a STEP.

Can the DMIS software take a faceted file?

At PLMworld last week (if I understood correctly) someone from Siemens indicated they may be working on a better IPW (BREP-like, rather than faceted) for strictly 2.5D milling (maybe NX12.x timeframe?).

But I wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

There is this discussion  IPW facet body

I'm not sure if @Chigishev has shared his code but the elements of how its done are all there.

Learn online

Solution Information