Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

External change from expressions of a CAM-Text

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm currently working on a realisation where I can type a name in a website which will get milled in a milled part.

I already made an extrusion which references a text. I changed the expressions of the text with ug_cell_read. So the text reads in the name (which I typed in the website) from an excel sheet. So far so good.

The next step is: I want to get NX 10 to send that part to a CNC-milling machine. Are there any opportunities? Is it possible with my extrusion?

I tried around with the engraving of the text in the CAM-mode, too.

The problem is following: The function PLANAR_TEXT ain't a text filed. It's a note (menue -> insert -> note).

The note is not available in the list of expressions. Is there an opportunity to read in an external value (like in the example from above)?

I hope you got what i mean.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES

Re: External change from expressions of a CAM-Text

A note object can reference an expression. If you have the desired text saved in an expression, the note object can show the value of the expression and it will update when the expression value changes. Here are the steps:

1. Open the note dialog
  2. in the "text input" section, expand the "symbols" subsection if necessary
  3. set the "category" option to "relationships"
  4. click the "insert expression" button and choose your desired expression from the list
  5. place the note object

The text in the input dialog will look something like:

<X0.2@ExpressionName>

but the note will display the value of the expression.

I know 2 ways to have a CAM operation update when text is edited:

1. Use Planar text or contour text, and select the note.
  2. Use curve/point drive method in surface contouring, and select with Feature Curves intent.

In both of these, the path follows the font stroke, so mainly for single stroke fonts. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

First of all thanks! It works now that the Note references my expressions.

But now the problem is that I always have to press this button (shown in the image) to update the path of the tool. Otherwise the old name will be engraved...

Is there a way that it automatically changes the tool path?

Sorry that my NX is in german.

best regardsunbenanntfsu15

You will have to submit an enhancement request to have NX automatically update operations.

There is no functionality included in NX that would allow this yet.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

You can also right-click on theoperation in the ONT -> Generate.

It sounds like you are using a program to update the expression text, why can't it also (automatically) re-generate the operation after the expression is changed?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

In the NX UI, we indicate that the operation tool path is out of date. It is up to the user to generate the operation. You need to pay attention to the icon in front of the operation in the navigator - if it is the red "notcircle", the status is "Regenerate". You also see this when you hover over the operation name. Select the operation, and Generate - via ribbon button or right mouse click. Like Ken says, if you are using an API program, have it generate the operation.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information