cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBM NX 10, Cannot Identify Features from a Certain Machining Access Direction

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

I have one plate with holes over another one without holes. I am trying to identify the holes with FBM (NX 10.0.5.3 MP4). I can find most of the holes when setting the Machining Accesss Direction as normal to the plate pointing upwards (like the ZM direction in the pic). Then I tried to identify the other holes by reversing the Machining Access Direction.

However, only when I hide the plate without holes, can I find the other holes. I think it is because when the plate without holes is there, the tool cannot access the holes from the -ZM direction. That is the definition of machining access direction, which makes sense. However, when I worked on this plate in NX 8.5, I could identify the holes no matter the plate without holes was there or not.

Is this an update in NX 10?

Thanks,

Kai

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

3 REPLIES

Re: FBM NX 10, Cannot Identify Features from a Certain Machining Access Direction

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What geometry option do you use, I always use Workpiece, since that is usually the right one anyways.

If you use "all geometry" the solid without holes will be used too and problems will raise.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Re: FBM NX 10, Cannot Identify Features from a Certain Machining Access Direction

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Stephan. I used "Workpiece".

Kai

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, this is an enhancement since NX9. Other customers didn't want to find features from machining direction that were not accessible (blocked by other geometry); think about a use case where you are drilling holes into an assembly of components.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information