Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBM Operation Program Group

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello there,

I am working on NX 10.0.3.5 FBM. I have a problem in operation program group.

For example, I have some tapping machining rules for different features (different features use different tapping rules). In each of them, I added the following line to make these operations fall into the program group of "TAP"

oper.PROGRAM_ORDER_GROUP= "TAP"

In NX, before I used Feature Based Machining to Create Feature Process, I created a program group called "TAP" manually, as I created some operations manually before. After Creating Feature Process, some tapping operations fell into that "TAP" group, while some fell into an automatically created new group called "TAP_1". 

This also happened to other kinds of operations, such as CHMFR_MILL, SEMI_MILL, and so on (the groups were named by myself).

I was wondering how I can make sure the same kind of operations fall into the same program group.

Thanks,

Kai

11 REPLIES

Re: FBM Operation Program Group

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The program groups must be in the correct machining order, if this is not the case, then FBM creates another program group to maintain the correct machining order.

This is new since NX 10, in previous NX releases this was not the case.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way that I can turn off this option? Because the order in which we machine workpieces on the machine is different from the order in which we define the machining rules?

Thanks,

Kai

This is no option and cannot be turned off.

In previous NX releases only the order in the geometry view was checked, starting with NX 10 the order in all ONT views must match.

You need to correct your rules to always create the operations in the correct order, to do this, you might just have to change the priority of some rules.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello I have the same issue here. I would like to group all my drilling and milling operation.

But they are assigned to different Features, i would have to create the whole program group manually.

I have tried to change the prioritys of some of my operation.

For example:

FEATURE_1

-Drilling

-Milling

-Drilling

-Drilling

There should be just 2 Groups. But NX always creates 3. What can I do to change that?

NX 11.0.1.11

Genius
Genius

Hi Kai, 

You are not the only one affected by that, the oper.PROGRAM_ORDER_GROUP= "TAP" does not work as it should. 

Months ago I put a ticket regarding this issue, yet it has not been solved. You can ask to be added to the PR8715386; probably development realizes the relevance of the Program Group.

I could not find a workaround to this issue, so if you find it, please share it with the Manufacturing Community Smiley Happy

Salvador Peregrina
Systems Engineer | NX 11.0.2.7

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Please review Stefan's answer to this.

@Muddi_91 wrote: 

For example:

FEATURE_1

-Drilling

-Milling

-Drilling

-Drilling

There should be just 2 Groups. But NX always creates 3. What can I do to change that?

In the above example you correctly get 3 Program Order Groups since having all Drilling operations on one group would violate the sequence constraints. The operation order you get by Create Feature Process is relevant and may not be violated that is why an extra Drill_POG_1 is created for you:

Drill_POG

Drilling

Mill_POG

Milling

Drill_POG_1

Drilling_1
 Drilling_2

If you desire another order of operations, you must change the order in which the machining rules are applied.

Reinier Capelle
NX CAM Development - Customer Success

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

This is a different issue. The workaround is to add hole_making.prt to your .opt file. The PR is still open indeed.

If the hole_making.prt is not included in the .opt file, no new Program Order Group is created.

Reinier Capelle
NX CAM Development - Customer Success

Genius
Genius

Hi Reiner,

Those are bad news for my FBM implementation project. Given the workaround only places the operations inside a POG, I was expecting that by fixing my PR, the oper.PROGRAM_ORDER_GROUP would work as it used to do it.

In my MKE rules library, switching the application order of the machining rules implies that some MKE rules have to be duplicated to achieve the same result.

POG can be used to sort the operations created by FBM, if these operations are reliable, no further modifications by an NX user are required, which is the purpose of FBM. Create entire automated CAM programs.

Since that's the argument of this thread, I do not understand why an NX user has to sort POGs to achieve a reliable CAM program when that can be done by FBM, see picture below.

FBM.jpgLeft side - POGs created by FBM. Right side - Desired POGs order, sorted by an NX user.

As Stefan mentioned it, in NX 10 or previous releases, the process was not checked out. Allowing the MKE developers some flexibility to build the machining strategies up without duplicating rules.

Salvador Peregrina
Systems Engineer | NX 11.0.2.7

With NX 8.5 the order must have been specified with placing the operations into the right parent order group.

Starting with NX 10 the correct machining order is maintained by NX, so the fixed order of parent order groups is obsolete.

From your image, I would even move chamfering before tapping, since generally you first create the chamfer and afterwards the thread.

We do have the following order currently, which is derived from NX 8.5, but we plan to get rid of most of it for NX 12.

In addition we switch parent groups inside of MKE if need is, to maintain the correct machining order.

1. pocket roughing
  2. pocket semi-finishing
  3. pocket floor finishing
  4. pocket wall finishing
  5. spot milling
  6. spot drilling
  7. drilling
  8. gun drilling
  9. mill up
  10. 1st step drill up
  11. 1st step gun drilling
  12. 1st step mill up
  13. 2nd step drill up
  14. 2nd step gun drilling
  15. 2nd step mill up
  16. 3rd step drill up
  17. 3rd step gun drilling
  18. 3rd step mill up
  19. chamfering
  20. reaming
  21. milling
  22. tapping

We might get rid of the separate steps for drill up, gun drilling and mill up for NX 12.

Learn online

Solution Information