Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBM and PMI -how it works

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello,

I have a problem with tolerance detection in Feature Based Machining when I use PMI dimensions.

Or for explanation, If I use PMI dimension of hole diameter - this change me parameters of the feature (parameters of tolerance) DIAMETER_1_LOWER and DIAMETER_1_UPPER – by default they are +/- 0.2. After using PMI dimension of diameter with tolerance f.e. H7 it changes this values to -0.0 +0.02, according of selected hole’s diameter value. This works fine.

But I want to use the same principle for depths, but this is not working. I tried to set PMI dimension of depth with H7 tolerance but parameters of depth’s tolerance stay still the same. (Parameters DEPTH_1_LOWER and DEPTH_1_UPPER)

So question is how I can influence this parameters? Or is it possible to influence them?

Attached is part for try.

Vavrusa Ondrej
NX10.0.3
NX11.0.x testing
13 REPLIES

Re: FBM and PMI -how it works

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There are no tolerance parameters for any of the depth values, this was discussed lately.

You will have to find a solution on your own, but I would also advice to create an enhancement request at GTAC to have such a feature included in a future release.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Genius
Genius

Hello Vavrusa, 

NX will not recognize the PMI applied to depth dimensions in the version you are using. However, in NX 12.0.1 this issue is supposed to be fixed, a few months ago I created an IR regarding this limitation, and it is already resolved. 

If you are not planning to upgrade to NX 12.0.1, you can always look for a workaround; you could use color recognition to build up your manufacturing strategies.

Salvador Peregrina
Systems Engineer | NX 11.0.2.7

Solution Partner Genius

Hello,

thanks, I got the same answer from GTAC.

We dont want to use Colors.

The company wants to use 3D documentation or how is it called. So I think, it should be more useable for all aplications.

Now it is in half way (in manufacturing), and colors dont solve all problems...

But yes there is some workaround, but its not direct way :-).

Vavrusa Ondrej
NX10.0.3
NX11.0.x testing

Generally colors don't solve any problems if you have no way to restore them, without face attributes, you will loose your colors within a glimpse.

Colors only serve the purpose of a visual overview, users tend to unify the display to a single color, so if you cannot represent something with PMI, face attributes are the way to go.

You do not need to add any additional handling, just specify the face attribute of interest in the feature class of the MKE customization.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Genius
Genius

It depends on what you want to achieve using the color recognition and how standardized are the models you use for CAM.  

"Colors only server the purpose of a visual overview", this is not precise. You can actually build up a machining strategy based on color recognition. 

Salvador Peregrina

@Salvador_P wrote:
You can actually build up a machining strategy based on color recognition. 

You cannot hold of the user from changing the face colors to a single color, which in turn makes all your color recognition fail.

The point is, that color is only visually and nothing that is engraved in stone. Face attributes on the other hand are much harder to change and since the user doesn't see them he doesn't bother to change them.

Solution Partner Genius

Ok thanks for advices, but colors are not what we want - it is way, but there is lot of work - you must make your own recognition rule for features (via Teach Recognition Rule function) - because as Stefan wrote - native solution is not support diferent colors on feature - all feature faces must have the same color -,we tested it and it worked, but you must create many rules for the same feature - according to possible combinations of collors (you can have colored only diameter, or only bottom, or both).

So to achive our goal we are developing application which will set roughnesses according to PMI linear dimensions - and for native features you can set side roughness and bottom roughness - and it is possible to use in machining rules.

So we will see..

Thanks

Vavrusa Ondrej
NX10.0.3
NX11.0.x testing

Genius
Genius

It is also a good idea! 

Good luck!

Salvador Peregrina

Genius
Genius
Hello Salvador,

as far as I know the depth dimensions are limited to steps only. E.g. if your tolerance does not propagate along the whole cylinder, then there is as of 12.0.1 no way to specify the area on the step cylinder that is covered by the tolerance.

In Germany we have so called fits. Thus you can say there is a 10H7 fitted STEP1POCKET hole. The cylinder of this hole may be 20mm deep, but the requirec toleranced cylinder (from top) is only 15mm deep. For machining this requires you to only ream to a depth of 15mm instead of the technically impossible 20mm. Specifying the 15mm depth is currently not possible by using PMI.

I hope I was able to explain everything clearly.
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.2.7 MP1 D2
In testing NX 12.0.1.7

Learn online

Solution Information