Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBM: how are others handling through holes with threads on both ends

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

In NX 8.5 feature recognition was returning two threaded holes, so it was possible to merge them together if they were coaxial and split them to machine them from both sides half through the part.

In NX 10 one gets a single two sided feature like STEP3HOLE1_THREAD, so there is no possibility to have an indicator of the hole being threaded on both ends.

Sure I can do a manual split by searching for half the feature from one side and the rest from the other, but why should I want to add more manual work, when it would have been possible to do things in an automatic way?

Has anyone found a universal solution that doesn't involve manual work to know if a through hole is threaded on both ends?

Attached find a simple part file to illustrate the issue, one for NX 8.5 and one for NX 10.

Looking forward to hear others thoughts.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide
11 REPLIES

Re: FBM: how are others handling through holes with threads on both ends

Legend
Legend
2 separate operations, and flip the axis in the operation. That how I would do it.
Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP3 Primarily CAM

Sure I can do everything manually without problem, but I mentioned to not do anything manually in my original post.

We have spent many hours to get things working in NX 8.5 and had to start from scratch when upgrading to NX 10, spending another huge amount of hours to get things working again.

When I use an automation tool set like FBM and MKE, I really don't want to have to check 200 or more holes for correctness, these must be reliably machined by the software, that's what computers have been made for.

With the new recognition it would be sufficient to have an indicator of the second thread, since checking the diameters can be misleading due to being able to have just one thread or two different ones.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Genius
Genius

Hello Stefan,

I tryied to reproduce your problem in NX 11.01 but I don't have that problem.  Take a look at the picture below, it shows the same features than the NX 8.5 part you uploaded.

Capture.JPG

As a workaraound, you can create a mapping rule in which you map your STEP3 in a STEP2 feature when the mwf.DIAMETER_3 > mwf.DIAMETER_2. 

Salvador Peregrina
CAM Team Lead | NX 11.0.2.7

Thanks for taking the time to check this in NX 11.

The most reliable would be to have a STEP3HOLE1_THREAD1 and a STEP5HOLE2_THREAD1 recognized in this situation, since the threads could be different.

Currently it is hard to distinguish between the following situations:

• through hole with similar threads on both ends
  • through hole with different threads on both ends
  • through hole with one thread on one end

Until there will be a way to have multiple thread attributes added to the machining features, I seem to have to find a solution on my own.

I can already combine coaxial machining features to have them split as we like for two-sided-machining, but with NX 10 this has now been broken.

Genius
Genius

Hi Stefan, 

Trying to expand my MKE rules library, I am facing the same issue you described in this thread. An IR was created, and it became an ER. Nevertheless, that is not a solution; the limitation is still there.

Were you able to find a workaround? (No manual actions)

Regards, 

Salvador

NX 11.0.2

Salvador Peregrina

I am currently checking if the threads might be on the same diameter counted from outward.

( mwf.THREAD_DIAMETER_NR = 1 AND ( mwf.DIAMETER_1 = mwf.DIAMETER_5 ) ) OR
( mwf.THREAD_DIAMETER_NR = 2 AND ( mwf.DIAMETER_2 = mwf.DIAMETER_4 ) )
$$ threads are not on the same diameter

This is for a mapping rule of an output feature of type STEP5HOLE2_THREAD with resulting input features of STEP3HOLE_THREAD,STEP3HOLE_THREAD.

Hope this helps.

Genius
Genius

Indeed it helps, thank you Stefan.

I can assume there is no solution for holes with different thread parameters on both ends. If I come up with something, I will share it in this thread. 

Salvador Peregrina

The problem is that one would have to add all the missing information of the other thread manually and this can lead to wrong specifications. The threaded hole diameter is not enough to distinguish between holes of different types (metric, UNC, etc.)

Legend
Legend
Any status on an ER for this?

Glenn Balon

Technics NC LLC.

847-494-5366

This electronic message transmission is intended only for the use of the person to whom it is addressed, including any attachments, and contains information from Technics NC LLC, which may be privileged, competition sensitive, confidential, or protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this email or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

ITAR Notice: This email may contain technical data which may be controlled by the US International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) 22 CFT part 120-130. If this data is determined to be ITAR controlled, such data may not be transmitted, shared or provided to any foreign party or entity either verbally or visually without proper licenses from the State Department. It is your responsibility to assure this item can be legally shared with another party. Thank you for your compliance.
Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP3 Primarily CAM

Learn online

Solution Information