Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

FBM: how are others handling through holes with threads on both ends

In NX 8.5 feature recognition was returning two threaded holes, so it was possible to merge them together if they were coaxial and split them to machine them from both sides half through the part.

In NX 10 one gets a single two sided feature like STEP3HOLE1_THREAD, so there is no possibility to have an indicator of the hole being threaded on both ends.

Sure I can do a manual split by searching for half the feature from one side and the rest from the other, but why should I want to add more manual work, when it would have been possible to do things in an automatic way?

Has anyone found a universal solution that doesn't involve manual work to know if a through hole is threaded on both ends?

Attached find a simple part file to illustrate the issue, one for NX 8.5 and one for NX 10.

Looking forward to hear others thoughts.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
4 REPLIES

Re: FBM: how are others handling through holes with threads on both ends

2 separate operations, and flip the axis in the operation. That how I would do it.
Production: NX 11.0.1.11 MP2 Primarily CAM

Sure I can do everything manually without problem, but I mentioned to not do anything manually in my original post.

We have spent many hours to get things working in NX 8.5 and had to start from scratch when upgrading to NX 10, spending another huge amount of hours to get things working again.

When I use an automation tool set like FBM and MKE, I really don't want to have to check 200 or more holes for correctness, these must be reliably machined by the software, that's what computers have been made for.

With the new recognition it would be sufficient to have an indicator of the second thread, since checking the diameters can be misleading due to being able to have just one thread or two different ones.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

[ Edited ]

Hello Stefan,

I tryied to reproduce your problem in NX 11.01 but I don't have that problem.  Take a look at the picture below, it shows the same features than the NX 8.5 part you uploaded.

Capture.JPG

As a workaraound, you can create a mapping rule in which you map your STEP3 in a STEP2 feature when the mwf.DIAMETER_3 > mwf.DIAMETER_2. 

Thanks for taking the time to check this in NX 11.

The most reliable would be to have a STEP3HOLE1_THREAD1 and a STEP5HOLE2_THREAD1 recognized in this situation, since the threads could be different.

Currently it is hard to distinguish between the following situations:

• through hole with similar threads on both ends
  • through hole with different threads on both ends
  • through hole with one thread on one end

Until there will be a way to have multiple thread attributes added to the machining features, I seem to have to find a solution on my own.

I can already combine coaxial machining features to have them split as we like for two-sided-machining, but with NX 10 this has now been broken.

Learn online

Solution Information