cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBM multiple tool class

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello

I want to set to my machining rule to choose the tool from more the one tool class. For example I have different drilling tool and few of them are in twist drill class, other drill are in insert drill class, etc...

And for my drilling rule I have choose twist drill in Resources(tool), in but I need add more classes but not all drilling tool.

Is it possible set it in single rule.

Or will I have to create 3 same rules with different priority, an in each have different tool class?

The same situation is for chamfering. I can choose chamfer mill, spot drill or countersinking tool.

Thanks

Vavrusa Ondrej
NX10.0.3
NX11.0.x testing
4 REPLIES

Re: FBM multiple tool class

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is always only one single class possible.

To be able to select multiple classes, you need to select the common parent class of the classes of interest and use your own tool filters in the conditions.

Post an image of the class structure as displayed when selecting a tool from the library inside of NX and we could suggest something to test.

Also make sure to name the type of library you are using (ASCII, MTL or MRL).

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Ondrej,

Stefan is right (and  faster with his reply).

You can only define one tool class for an MKE rule, but... that can be a parent class. A good example is with the MRL tool database. Here you have a "Drilling" tool class that is the parent of several leaf tool classes such as Core Drills, Gun Drills & Twist Drills (see images). In your MKE rule, you can use "Drilling" as you tool class and the software will search in all the child classes for a matching tool.

But if you are using the OOTB ASCII tool database, and you want to machine a chamfer with either a spot drill a chamfer mill or a countersink tool, then you will need 3 rules. For spot drill and countersink, your operation would probably be the same Drilling operation, but for chamfer milling, you not only need a different tool, but you also need a different operation class (chamfer milling in this case) so there are multiple reasons why you cannot combine spot drilling and chamfer milling in a single rule.

NX CAM Development

Tom van 't Erve

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello Boys,

thanks for ansfer.

@Stefan_Pendl: I am using ASCII library and everything is based on OOTB files, and I use only NX. For now I have all drilling tools in Twist Drill class. And we have our code as Library Reference , which decsribes type of tool. So if I need to distinguish tool according to its type I can do it thru LibRef.

But I wonder about other solution, which allows me to use other native classes.

@TomvantErve: Ok, these group classes could be ok, but how can I create these group classes? I suppose I must change/create classes in my tool library,or? If yes, I dont want to use it. I am trying to find solution which is based  as much as possible on OOTB files. Or can I do it internaly in MKE?

Yes ok, I dont want to make rule for two different operation.

But now we have all tools for chamfer in one class, we choose chamfer mill class. These tools we can use in both operations (coutersinking and chamfer mill). This is only because we dont want to save the same tool twice into the library. So it is the same as for our drilling tool, which are in the same class. So again I only wonder if I can use more classes.

It is not problem, I only need information what ways are possible.

Thanks

Vavrusa Ondrej
NX10.0.3
NX11.0.x testing

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If a tool needs a different type of CAM operation class, then there is nothing that can be done to keep you from creating separate rules.

For the ASCII library there should be the milling and drilling classes as separate parent classes.

You should be able to use the TOOL class and use the QUERY entry of the sub-class to filter out the tools too, but that is only guessing, since I never had the need to do this.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information