Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLOWCUT CUT REGIONS

Pioneer
Pioneer

Good day,

Need help on how to speed up flowcut cut regions calculation.

I think NX calculate all the areas of the model where there are corners

so it takes lots of time to create cut regions on the selected areas. I did select the areas I need to 

flowcut with as MODEL selection to only focus the calculation on that area, but when I

select the whole model my created cut regions need an update, when I click

the cut region button selected the whole model it reads again the whole model.

Please see attached image.

Thank you very much.

Jayson

10 REPLIES

Re: FLOWCUT CUT REGIONS

Legend
Legend

Seems like it would be faster to clean up the model.

Did you try Optimize face on it?

NX11.0.1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
  1. Select the entire solid as the part geometry (WORKPIECE)
  2. Select only the face of interest as milling area (MILL_AREA)

Every operation that supports milling areas is only taking the faces of the area and the attached faces into consideration for calculation.

This can be easily proved by creating for example a Zlevel operation below the workpiece and copy it over below the milling area, you will notice that the one below the milling area is calculating much faster than the one utilizing the workpiece and using a trim boundary to limit the machining area.

Generally using a milling area to limit the machining area results in much faster calculation than using a trim boundary, since the milling area is only using the faces of interest and not the entire workpiece.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer

I did not try to optimize face because it collapse small areas that needs of details, we used up to 0.2mm diameter ball endmill to machine this part to show more details.

Thank you,

jayson

Pioneer
Pioneer
Stefan,

I don`t have any problem on area milling, Z-level, or boundary milling , I do have the problem only on flowcut operation.
Just by clicking the cut regions inside the operation dialog box took much time, then generating cut region also took so much time, then calculating the tool path after the cut regions created also took so much time. To what I have attached image, it took about 90mins to generate tool path from clicking cut regions to generate tool path. I tried to do this in 7.5 version and it calculate tool path very quick. ( Currently using NX 10.0.3.5 )

Thank you very much,
Jayson

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Flowcut is just a specialized area milling operation, so all that is valid for area milling is valid for flowcut.

If you select a milling area before you select the regions, you should be fine.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Legend
Legend

Hi Jayson,

I believe that the one way to speed up the Flow Cut regions calculation is use the Max Concavity.

This parameter help you to limit the angle that the system will recognize corners.

This parameter limits corners with angles less than the value defined in the Max Concavity.

Below a link where you can find more iformation.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:xid753424

I hope this help.

Jean Marcel
PLMPRO
www.plmpro.com.br

What is selected for PART?

What is selected for CUT_AREA?

Are you using a reference tool? If yes, what are the types and sizes of the cutting tool and reference tool?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

Stefan,

Thank you for the clarification.

When I use cut region in area milling operation method, I don`t have this calculation time problem, I am using 

area milling operation method when using non-steep cutting and steep cutting, also when , merging some steep and non-steep areas, but don`t have any problem on this.

Thank you again for the information.

Thank you,

jayson

Pioneer
Pioneer

JeanM,

I will try this one and update about the result.

Thank you very much,

Jayson

Learn online

Solution Information