Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face milling type of operation.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is the PLANAR_MILL operation the only face milling type of operation that gives you an option for a different depth of cut for the last pass?  I've tried all of these and they all essentioally give me the same toolpath with the exception of a final finish depth pass amount.

Capture5.JPG

Capture4.JPG

10 REPLIES

Re: Face milling type of operation.

Legend
Legend

Between myself and a friend we have filed a few enhancement requests to get "multiple" option on all depth of cut. Or even as simple as a finish cut on the floor. I think we started asking for this in NX8.5

In floor wall it would be nice to have finish wall and finish floor option.

So you could take your .150 blank thickness, doc of .050 , finish doc .005 and get the following

1 pass at .100

1 pass at .050

1 pass at .005

1 pass at .000

All in the same operation without needing a second operation to just take the last .005

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

With floor-wall you should be able to use a combination of stock and final floor stock to get a finishing pass, if I remember correctly.

BTW, what would be the benefit to have a finish pass with a roughing or semi-finishing tool?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Pioneer
Pioneer

"BTW, what would be the benefit to have a finish pass with a roughing or semi-finishing tool?"

Where do you see a roughing or semi-finishing tool?  I'm using a 2.500" fly cutter.

Legend
Legend

@Stefan_Pendl wrote:

With floor-wall you should be able to use a combination of stock and final floor stock to get a finishing pass, if I remember correctly.

BTW, what would be the benefit to have a finish pass with a roughing or semi-finishing tool?

Most job shops doing short run jobs don't have dedicated roughing and finish face mills. Especially in material like aluminum or plastic you use the same tool.

There is already a finish wall pass option in there... should be easy to add finish floor as well ? Smiley Very Happy

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi all,

one question from my side :-)

Do you also use the same feeds and speeds for the finish toolpaths as you do for the roughing toolpaths?

Cheers,

Alexander

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Justin makes a very good point. Most of the times I would crank up the speed and feed for a finish pass...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Matt_WI, I don't see any tool, since the image shows the program order view.

@Dstryr, would you post the ER number and the ER text, so we could vote for it at GTAC?

@AlexanderFreund, we use separate operations, separate tools and separate machining methods, so our feeds&speeds are separate. I still see the use-cases where using one tool for all is beneficial as @Dstryr mentioned.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Legend
Legend

@AlexanderFreund wrote:

Hi all,

one question from my side :-)

Do you also use the same feeds and speeds for the finish toolpaths as you do for the roughing toolpaths?

Cheers,

Alexander

Just as with custom engage feed and spindle speed is in adaptive ... should be easy to give us a box

[ X ] Finish pass on floor

>>> Amount of final finish pass

>>>>Custom RPM?

>>>>Custom Feed?

Normally for aluminum we rough at 2x the feed rate as our finish pass.

I am also very hopeful that development will make all stock inhereted from methods in a future release... and not just "part stock" .

However for the time being I am using Marek's bulk edit app a lot lately . Just program as fast as possible, grab all operations at the end and change stocks that way. It would be very nice to have them all linked to the method though

Smiley Happy

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Legend
Legend

@Stefan_Pendl wrote:

@Matt_WI, I don't see any tool, since the image shows the program order view.

@Dstryr, would you post the ER number and the ER text, so we could vote for it at GTAC?

@AlexanderFreund, we use separate operations, separate tools and separate machining methods, so our feeds&speeds are separate. I still see the use-cases where using one tool for all is beneficial as @Dstryr mentioned.

Yeah in our production cells where we have resident tooling we do the same. 1 facemill only takes .005 finish cuts. However on other machines with small magazines and 50-100 pc orders we just use same tool and index inserts after the job is done.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Learn online

Solution Information