Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Faceted Faces

When I am milling a face with large radius it get faceted. In others Cam programs I can select the maximum segment. In NX I just see these option on suface milling. Is there an option like these in Z-level ? Now I am using really small tolerances, so I can have a good surface finish. But it take too long for genarate the program.

12 REPLIES

Re: Faceted Faces

[ Edited ]

Generally this should only be a problem, if your post processor is converting arcs into lines.

To avoid this problem, don't output arcs in the operation, but only linear moves.

This will prevent the post processor from converting the arcs into linear moves and it gives the best quality without the need to tighten the tolerance.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

If I have only perfect arcs, to correct post processor would solve the problems. But the curve suface cannot always be translated into an arc.

I think Stefan is saying....

Make sure the internal toolpath (Right-click on operation -> toolpath -> list) has no arcs.

If there are arcs, and the post converts them to lines, the result is typically worse than if you force the internal toolpath to only output linear moves.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Make sure to set the motion output to line as shown below.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Using the motions output as a line we get lines over 6mm in lentgh in the attached exemple. The intol outol  tolerances are set as 0.01mm. If i use smaller tolerance the lines are going to be smaller, but it will take longer to calculate.  Is there a way to set the maximum lentgh of these lines ?

thank you

If you are using intol/outtol to shorten the move length, then the smaller the tolerance, the shorter the moves, and the longer the calculation time.

I do not understand how this is related to facets.

Is the part geometry a facet body? Or is it a normal solid.

Is the part face a cylinder or cone? 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Here is an example of my "faceted"  surface in the piece. The solid model is an smooth surface.  I have these problem in Z-level operations. The result of my milling operation is not smooth as it should be.  When I have these part tested with other cam software, using the same tolerances, the surface was perfect. In these picture you can see small planes istead of an arc.

[ Edited ]

If I know what you are working with, I can probably help.

If the part geometry is analytic, then zlevel should output nice, clean circle records.

In this example, the zlevel on the left path is set to linear output, and the right one is arcs.

Adjusting the tolerance will change the points in the left picture, but not the right.

What is your NX CAM PART geometry -  facet body? cylindrical face? B surface?

Have you provided the model to GTAC with a call? If so, I can look at it.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

For surface contouring, the max step length can be controlled in

Cutting Params -> More -> Max Step setting

For the "faceted" face you showed - are you using the side of an endmill to cut it, or the end of a ball mill?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information