cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Based Machining HOLE_CHAMFER_MILLING C-Sink Diameter

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

For the operation of hole_making.hole_chamfer_milling, I want to define the C-sink diameter in feature based machining. This parameter is in the Feature Geomotry dialog when you create an operation of hole_chamfer_milling in NX. In MKE, I find this parameter in an add-on of type NXInProcessFeature. However, when I set the C-sink diameter in the add-on, it doens't work. I also tried to teach an operation and find out how this parameter is defined, but I cannot find such definition in the taught machining rule.

Thanks,

Kai

8 REPLIES

Re: Feature Based Machining HOLE_CHAMFER_MILLING C-Sink Diameter

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Kai,

You seem to be on the right track when you use an Add-on of Type NXInProcessFeature and Class feature.ChamferHole. This will allow you to set the Diameter, the C-Sink Diameter and the Tip Angle.

You wrote: when I set the C-sink diameter in the add-on, it doens't work

Can you be a bit more specific:

- Does your hole have a modeled top chamfer or are you trying to machine a chamfer that doesn't exist in the part?

- What Machining Area have you specified?

- Did you set all the feature.ChamferHole parameters or just the C-Sink Diameter?

- What exactly doesn't work? Do you get a "locked" in-process value? Do the "locks" still show "From Geometry" instead of "User Defined"?

Some pictures would probably help.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Tom,

- I am trying to machine a chamfer that doesn't exist in the part

- I want to machine the top chamfer. I define the machining area as FACES_CYLINDER_1

- I set Diameter_1 and C-Sink Diameter for the feature.ChamferHole parameters

- I set C-Sink Diameter to a value in the add-on, but when I open the operation in NX, the C-Sink Diameter parameter in the dialog is still locked, still shows "From Geometry"

Thanks,

Kai

Siemens Phenom
Kai,

Which exact NX version are you using?

Thanks, Tom.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am using NX 10.0.3.5. I have to say sometimes it works, sometimes not. Just now when I worked on another hole feature, the C-Sink Diameter was set to the user-defined value.

Thanks,

Kai

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I have raised a IR in the past because the chamfer milling on un-modelled chamfers does not work as expected it was converted to a PR7463466 with a priority code of 2 serious.

When selecting the hole you want to define a chamfer on it doesn't put the correct size on there and if you have multiple chamfers selected it would alter all to the same even if they have modelled chamfers?

It is still open at the moment I found this when running through the learning advantage training on the subject.

Might be something along the same line as you are seeing.

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

Siemens Phenom

Hi Dave,

Thanks for pointing to that PR.

We're looking at it now to determine if this could be related.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Dave. I have been working on unmodelled chamfer as well, and mostly one chamfer on the top. Maybe that is the same problem.

Kai

Siemens Phenom

Hi Dave, Hi Kai,

We took another look at the PR that Dave mentioned. It shows a difference in behavior between NX9 and NX10 when using the FACES_CYLINDER_1 machining area on a group of features, some with and some without a FACES_TOP_CHAMFER. We're currently discussing how to resolve this in the best way. However, I don't see how this could be related to Kai's problem.

Kai wrote:  I have to say sometimes it works, sometimes not. Just now when I worked on another hole feature, the C-Sink Diameter was set to the user-defined value.

I am sorry, but I have no idea how we can help you going forward. I am sure that the problem occurs from time to time. All I can ask you is to file an IR (or email me directly) and provide an example where things are not working so that we can dig deeper.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Learn online

Solution Information