cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature-parameters for Postprocessor

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! Does anyone know, whether it is possible to have an access in Postprocessor to this feature-parameters? Actually I'm interested to get the parameter "Start Diameter". Any ideas to realize this?

2015-07-23 12_15_05-NX 10 - Manufacturing - [D1617104_0.prt (Modified) ].png

10 REPLIES

Re: Feature-parameters for Postprocessor

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so.

It should be available in FBM in the MKE, but I don't think the post has any knowledge of geometry parameters of the part.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

You can get the value of a known expression MOM_ask_ess_value

Example:  MOM_ask_ess_exp_value diameter

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11.0.2.7

In general, the post has access to most of the operation parameters, but not details of the geometry that is referenced.

To see if this is there, follow our usual recommendation - set it to a unique value, post with the review tool on, and then search the debug file for your unique value. Here you will find the hundreds of mom variables that are set for the post. 

To access other parameters from the post, you need to use an API program.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Mark,

what do you think with "review tool"? I know the usual debugger and the procedure MOOG_Show_Globals. Is there another one that I don't know?

If I record my actions I see following:

machiningFeatureGeometry1.SetDefaultAttribute("Diameter", 40.0);

machiningFeatureGeometry1.SetDefaultAttribute("Depth", 15.0);
machiningFeatureGeometry1.SetDefaultAttribute("TIP_ANGLE", 0.0);
machiningFeatureGeometry1.SetDefaultAttribute("START_DIAMETER", 36.66);

How can I carry this attirbutes to the post with API? Is there a usual way?

I don't want a ready solution but perhaps a concept, how to do this.

Thank you for your help.

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The "review tool" is the regular debugger that you can enable in the post process dialog inside of NX.

There is no usual way to get geometry information during the post run, you will develop something from scratch.

We would better understand if you would tell us the reason you like to have geometry information in the post run.

It might be easier to have a PRE/ACTION for the post-process menu entry that sets some operation attributes containing the needed information, which you can access during the post run easily.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We want to have Cycle-Output in the Post. I've realized it in NX8.5 to have an output for Heidenhain iTNC530 with CYCL DEF 208. It worked fine without any additional parameter because every parameter I've needed I got from the operation-parameters. I only used a UDE with one parameter to say "CYCLE-Output" to the Post. (see the first Picture)

Now the Predrill-Diameter comes from the feature and my calculation in PP does not work anymore.

The template für Hole-milling I reduced to this parameters, which the Heidenhain-Cycle can handle, that means for example, that it was only possible to use Cut Pattern "Helical". In NX8.5 I was able to hide this element, in NX10 I can't hide it, it is coupled with the "Offset from Start Diameter". (see the second picture). This is the next problem. So, if the user uses Cut Patttern "Spiral" I have to break the Post-Output with an error.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello everybody!

Does nobody have an idea for my problems? Am I in a dead end street?

Does anybody have other solutions for getting CYCLE-Output with hole-milling?

Can I wait for an solution from SPLM?

Thanks for all answers.

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The best I have thought of (but not tried)

Use an API program as an extension to MOM.

Pass in the mom_pos values (which in legacy PTP is the cetner of the hole selected, not sure about hole making/milling) and tool axis.

API searches thru edges/curves to find arc centered on point with correct normal (+/- tool axis)

Return dia of found arc.

Issues:

1) What if user specifies top surface above part (mom_pos won't be at center of ANY arc)

2) What if multiple concentric arcs (hole thre center of cylinder, or pick point at bottomo of cbore) - which arc to use?

3) User picking *points* (not arcs) for positions.

4) what if hole not perp. to face (or face not planar) - then no arc (it will be an ellipse or spline)

You could also look for cylindrical faces instead of arcs (cyl axis corrct to +/- tool axis, goes thru mom_pos)

I've been thinking of this for probing hole diameter - it would be nice to pick up the hole dia automatically, instead of user having to type it into a UDE.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

jobe wrote:

Hello Mark,

what do you think with "review tool"? I know the usual debugger and the procedure MOOG_Show_Globals. Is there another one that I don't know?

Set the feature parameter values to something unique (123.456).

When you post process, turn on the review tool in the dialog.

Exit the review tool, then look for the files that were created. In addition to the output file, there will be a _debug.out file. This file lists the mom variables available for each event. Open this in a text editor and search for the value you set (123.45). If it is not there, then there is no mom variable available. I would review all of the mom variables for the operation - there may be some that you can use to derive what you need.

If not, you will probably need to use the API to get the values from the part.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information