cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find cutting distance of an operation

Pioneer
Pioneer

I would like to find out the cutting distance of a manufactruing operation. Specifically, I have a Fixed-Contour operation that uses Curve/Point as the drive method. If a collection of curves used as the drive method total 100 inches, I would like to check the operation and read the cutting distance output by the operation. If the sum of the curves (i.e.- 100 inches) match the cutting distance of the operation, then it can be confirmed that all of the needed geometry was selected in the operation. If the numbers do not match, then the operation is lacking curves in the drive method, or the incorrect selections were made.

So, is there a way to read the cutting distance of an operation? I would like to do this with NXOpen. I am starting on a way to read and parse the CLS file, but something internal to NX would be preferable. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES

You can see this when you turn on the Distance column in...

You can see this when you turn on the Distance column in the Operation Navigator.

This will display the total distance,. If you hover the mouse, a popup will show cutting and non-cutting. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Re: You can see this when you turn on the Distance column in...

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you. I saw that in another post before, but could never find the Distance column. As it turns out, the column is called Length. Unfortunately, the cutting distance also includes engages and retracts, which totally throws off the actual total. Is there a was to omit the engages and retracts from the cutting total? Engages and retracts are not actually cutting.

Re: You can see this when you turn on the Distance column in...

Yes - the name is "Length" - Sorry, I was responding from my jet-lagged memory.

For the length calculation, cut, first cut, stepover, engage and retract are included in the cutting total, because they are usually at feed and not rapid. if you have long engages and retracts, then this could distort your actual cutting time.

If you use short engages and retracts, and rely on approach and departure for the rapid positioning, the time should be closer to actual.

If you really just want to check for a missing selection, you could set engage/retract to none and generate, then set them back to the correct settings. You could also do something in the post, but that is probably too far down stream.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information