Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Contour Boundary Milling

Pioneer
Pioneer

Good day,

I just want to ask if anyone of you encounter fixed contour violated the part as shown in the attached image.Need help to fix this.

We tried also to generate it on NX11 and we got the same result, but when tried to NX7.5 the tool path is fine.

Thank you.BOUNDARY_MILLING.JPG

Jayson

10 REPLIES

Re: Fixed Contour Boundary Milling

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Could you try with NX 10.0.3 MP16 too, I think to remember that there have been fixes between MP7 and MP16 that corrected similar issues of ours.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

It would be good if you can share the part file.

If you have properly setup the workpiece geometry and the gouge and collision checkinig tool have detected gouges, then this is a proper PR you should file with GTAC. However, have you tried to clean up the geometry using Optimize Face yet? There may be some gaps between the faces that the cutter path is falling into. Try healing this geometry and seeing if that fixes your problem for now, but also file this as a PR.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Stefan,

Good day,

We tried to update to MP16 but no luck, same result.

Thank you.
Jayson

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Then I would check the quality of the solid body using examine geometry to make sure it can be machined using such small settings.

Make sure to select all objects, like edges, faces, etc., not only the body to get a meaningful result.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi jkane1,

Good day,

The Optimize face command resolved the issue, but we don`t do face optimization because it might change the details of the part, also it takes a lot of time to optimize the part with so many tiny surfaces.

Please take a look of the attached file.(not optimized)

Thank you for your input.

Thank you.

Jayson

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hello sanji

I reselected your data as faces instead of solid and the spikes are gone. I know this isnt a fix but as a workaround its seems ok. Please log a PR with this file. Seems to be something with selecting as solid so a PR fix would probably solve many future PR's.

Regards

Paul

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Paul,

I did what you said and it works, I have already logged a PR.

Thank you

Jayson

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi sanji

glad that worked and thank you for making PR.

regards

Paul

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

I have good news on this. I took your part file and tesed the operation in NX12. I can gladly say that there are no gouges. Please provide me the PR number on this so I can track the issue.

One other thing I want to mention. Your containment methods are sort of redundant in this workflow. Because you used the boundary drive method, you have no reason to select a cut area as you did in this part file. NX will project the boundary on the part defined in the workpiece. You should also note that there is no need to specify a cut area as all the part faces in any operation. If you want NX to apply the tool path to the whole part then simply place the operation under the workpiece geometry and don't bother with cut area.

Learn online

Solution Information