Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor and Wall Generation time

Legend
Legend

It seems even with IPW not used in Floor Wall operations, that it wants to create one, or "Initialize the In Process Workpiece form the geometry group"  when generating the toolpath. This is very time consuming. I even have IPW generation turned off when generating paths in the customer defaults. 

Cutting 10 faces used to be a 3 minute job, now it takes 20 min. Anyone else find a workaround to this, or have this issue?

ipw creation.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP2 Primarily CAM
13 REPLIES

Re: Floor and Wall Generation time

Genius
Genius

Planner Mill... 

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Legend
Legend

I know its faster, but when you need to follow the part adjacent to the floor, or have a different radii on a tool than the part and want to blend, "Floor and Wall" works great.

In my case even a simple face out in the open takes a long time generate. Exact positioning is also off

Glenn Balon

Genius
Genius

If I have to follow or blend a rad. I will "lie" the stock (usually minus), to get my tool to overhang a rad. and blend.

Because of the reason you mention and issues I've had with unexpected results.

I only use it for features I know it can do with no hassle.

Anytime the IPW or FBM are involved there will be a bit of a lag, can't see how that will be overcome.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.1, MP2}

Legend
Legend

I know what you mean about the negative stock. There are times it works great, and other times where I switch back to Planar Mill. About 70% of the time it does what I need. The "Add Finish Passes" has never worked well for me . I often add a Planar Mill operation for finishing the walls. 

Glenn Balon

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@psch_wny wrote: 

Anytime the IPW or FBM are involved there will be a bit of a lag, can't see how that will be overcome.

Faster CPUs ;-)

Give it about 5 years or so :-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Which of the two floor wall operations are you using, FLOOR_WALL or FLOOR_WALL_IPW?

How many faces is your part geometry consisting of?

Is you geometry free of issues, what does examine geometry tell you? Select all, faces, edges, etc. not only the body for best results.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Legend
Legend
Just Regular Floor_Wall. I am only cutting a single face on some operations. Some are out in the open without even any walls around it.

Examine geometry passed with everything set to .0001.

I will wait and see if it happens in other files. Maybe it is file specific for some reason.

GENERATED ON = NX 12.0.1.7 2018/06/14 10:41:51 (string)
CAM_TEXT3 = Recommended for basic face milling of planar faces on prismatic parts. This operation replaces the FACE_MILLI
NG_AREA operation found in previous releases. (string)
CAM_TEXT2 = Select floor and/or wall geometry. The material to be removed is determined by the cut area floor and the bla
nk thickness. (string)
CAM_TEXT = Cuts Floors and Walls. (string)
CAM_PICTURE = $UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_IMAGE_DIR/oper_floor_wall.bmp (string)
CAM_TOOLTIP = Floor and Wall (string)

Legend
Legend

So I was thinking of what is different from what I have done before that could cause this. I am using the IPW Source for the blank geometry. Usually I have one Parent Blank for all operations, and place MCS inside of them. 

When I go back to my original method of one Parent Blank, the operations generate in about 3 seconds instead of 30. Using the IPW Source option slows down generation, in addition to slowing 3D Verify, which takes another 20 seconds to load instead of the usual 5 seconds. 

ipw settings.PNG

Glenn Balon

Genius
Genius

Hi Glenn,

Besides what you have found out. Have you detected any other performance flaws in NX 12?

A few weeks ago I reached the GTAC due to the poor performance of the Floor Wall operation when using FBM, though I would not expect a similar performance in non-FBM ops.

If you share a part I can test it in NX 11.0.2

Salvador Peregrina
Systems Engineer | NX 11.0.2.7

Learn online

Solution Information