Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor wall with IPW

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am machining this with a 2.500" insert cutter with .031"r's and leaving .030 on the walls and .000 on the floor.  The next tool is a .500" EM that leaves .000" on the walls and the floor.  I'm doing a .020" step down with this cutter.  Why is it skipping step downs and cutting areas on the floor that are already finished?  I have tried leaving .075" on the walls thinking that the .031r's on the first cutter and the .030" left on the walls is too close to each other and messing things up.  No difference.  I tried replacing the 2.500" insert cutter with a 1.000" EM. No difference.  Tried tightening and loosening up the tolerences. No difference.  What's going on?

1.JPG 

14 REPLIES

Re: Floor wall with IPW

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi @Matt_WI,

could you please contact GTAC and file an IR on this part?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Alexander

Pioneer
Pioneer

IDKWTAM?

Siemens Legend

I thought as an NX account you know wha GTAC is :-)

See on the right hand side in this forum:
2018-04-17 17_50_08-Re_ Floor wall with IPW - Siemens PLM Community - 484507.png

There you can file an IR which will be converted to either a PR (Problem Report) or an ER (Enhancement Request).

You can also securely upload your part file there.

Cheers,

Alexander

Siemens Legend

Is Blank set to 3D IPW in Containment Tab under Cutting Parameters?ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 17 13.45.gif

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have the first toolpath set to Blank Geometry and selected the Blank Model when setting up my Geometry.  Then I selected 3D IPW for the second toolpath (the one with the issues) with the .500 EM.

I've also tried regular Floor Wall and the .500EM is even worse in the areas it should be cutting.  The area I'm talking about is symetrical yet it cuts one side and not the other.  I left .075" on the walls and .000" on the floors with the 2.5000" w.031r's cutter.

2.JPG

Pioneer
Pioneer

I changed the in and out tolerance from .001" to .00005" and got a good toolpath with regular Floor Wall.

3.JPG

Siemens Legend

The images you are showing make me think that Rest Milling may be a more appropriate operation here. Would you please try that with the same tolerances and stock inputs you were using before and let us know how it works? I would use Level Based IPW rather than 3D IPW here.

Also, in case you are unfamiliar, you can specify different stock values in Rest Milling or Cavity Mill if you uncheck the Use Floor Same as Side check box in the Cutting Parameters.

Capture3.JPG

Pioneer
Pioneer

OK, so the initial Floor Wall IPW faces the top only.  The Blank Geometry is set so it's the same size as my Workpiece but .060" taller.  The second Floor Wall IPW mills the walls leaving .030" on the walls and .000" on the floors.  The second Rest Milling toolpath leaves .040" on the walls and .000" on the floor.  I added .010" to the walls over the previous Floor Wall toolpath so I didn't mill all of the walls as I'm going to do that with the .250" EM.  It's just roughing out material left from the 2.500" flycutter.  It did make a pass or two though to pick out the .031" radius left from the 2.500" flycutter which is fine.  The next Rest Milling toolpath with the .250" has .000" on the walls and floors.  This all seems to give me what I want.  A couple of questions though.  If this isn't a part for Floor Wall machining I don't know what is.  It seems pretty straight forward so why doesn't that toolpath work for this?  It's flat and has no draft.  It's as simple as it gets.  Second question, why didn't the .250" EM in the last Rest Machining toolpath go down into the .500", .4375" and .375" holes that are all over this part?  The previous two cutters obviously didn't machine anything out of them.  OK, three questions.  What do I have to do to get rid of the toolpath segments on the corner of the Workpiece in the last toolpath?

Capture.JPG

Pioneer
Pioneer

OK, so the initial Floor Wall IPW faces the top only.  The Blank Geometry is set so it's the same size as my Workpiece but .060" taller.  The second Floor Wall IPW mills the walls leaving .030" on the walls and .000" on the floors.  The second Rest Milling toolpath leaves .040" on the walls and .000" on the floor.  I added .010" to the walls over the previous Floor Wall toolpath so I didn't mill all of the walls as I'm going to do that with the .250" EM.  It's just roughing out material left from the 2.500" flycutter.  It did make a pass or two though to pick out the .031" radius left from the 2.500" flycutter which is fine.  The next Rest Milling toolpath with the .250" has .000" on the walls and floors.  This all seems to give me what I want.  A couple of questions though.  If this isn't a part for Floor Wall machining I don't know what is.  It seems pretty straight forward so why doesn't that toolpath work for this?  It's flat and has no draft.  It's as simple as it gets.  Second question, why didn't the .250" EM in the last Rest Machining toolpath go down into the .500", .4375" and .375" holes that are all over this part?  The previous two cutters obviously didn't machine anything out of them.  OK, three questions.  What do I have to do to get rid of the toolpath segments on the corner of the Workpiece in the last toolpath?  Pictures are in my post below.

Learn online

Solution Information