cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Load and Turret

Creator
Creator
I've noticed that mill tools inherit the value for tool number and adjust register from the pocket but lathe tools do not. Is there a reason for this? Thanks Ray NX10.0.3.5
3 REPLIES

Re: Force Load and Turret

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Lathe tools should inherit the tool number.

The adjust register is more difficult, as there can be more than 1 tracking point, so the question is WHICH tracking point should inherit the adjust from the pocket?

The question gets more difficult with (for example) lathe groove tools that are rotated (B axis) or flipped (around tool axis) when used.

Note (depending on machine) I have a lot of my posts automatically change the adjust (and/or cutcom) register from "0" to the tool number, if the adjust (or cutcom) is zero.  (not done on Mazaks using Mazatrol tool data, where ".00" is a valied register).  Saves a lot of hassle on the programmer's part.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I wrote this a long timne ago, but I believe it is still accurate:

The Cutcom and Adjust registers in turning come from the tracking information, and not the pocket. This is different from milling because there can be several tracking points.

To summarize:

• Pockets have registers.
  • Turning tools do not have visible registers. Turning Tools have tracking points, and these tracking points have registers. There is no inheritance on these registers.
  • Turning operations do not have visible registers. Turning operations select which tracking point or points of the tool to use. These tracking point selections have registers, which inherit from the tracking points in the tool.

turning_tool_inheritance.jpg

The documentation is here

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Thanks for your response. I figured there was a good reason. I don't program lathes but I was trying to patch together a post for someone in our tooling department. I gave him pretty much everything he wanted except it was outputting T0100 instead of T0101. He's not doing anything complicated. I think I'lll look into Ken's idea.

Thanks again

Learn online

Solution Information