Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formulas in Operation Parameters

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, 

I was wondering if it was possible to enter formulas or expressions into operation parameters. An example would be to save a template in which the depth of cut of the tool was set to the flute length of the tool selected. This would mean that later on if I wanted to use a different tool, I could just select it and the depth of cut would be automatically updated. 

I believe that there may be a way to with th machining data library but I don't know if it it powerful enough to do many of the other computations that I'm thinking of. If this isn't possible I will definitely put in an ER request to see if we can get it added. 

I've dabbled with other software that lets you do this and some of the formulas you can write can be very helpful in speeding up the programming process. 

Thanks.

9 REPLIES

Re: Formulas in Operation Parameters

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I don't think so (yet).

You might want to read this thread:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Expressions-in-CAM...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I see. So there are currently no tooling parameters I could use within certain operation parameters like the example I mentioned above?

Not sure about depth of cut.

But may things (e.g. stepover, engage/retract) can be set to "%tool [diameter]"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I was looking for a little more than that stuff. Stuff like if else, min ,max formulas that could be written with parameters related to the tool. You could to a lot of powerful almost automated programming with these formulas if you got them right and kept you tools constant like I try to do.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Imperial wrote:

I believe that there may be a way to with th machining data library but I don't know if it it powerful enough to do many of the other computations that I'm thinking of. If this isn't possible I will definitely put in an ER request to see if we can get it added. 

No, it is not possible with Machining Data Library. You can define only one Depth of Cut, and this value will override every DOC whether it is user input or default value. If you have two different flute lengths for same diameter, you can define only one.

BTW, last revision was made on 16 Aug 2012 to machining_data.tcl.

Drilling has the ability to set the predefined depth as % of flute length.

I have also opened an enhancement request at GTAC to include % of flute length for cut depth of adaptive milling, which will be included in NX 12.0.2 and I asked for it in NX 12.0.1 Smiley Wink

The best you can do is to ask for adding "% flute length" to the operation type you need this for, since it seems to be a not too complicated addition.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Well that would explain a certain number of things...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
That would be very nice but still not as powerful as it could be. The flute length to depth of cut setting was only a simply thing I wanted to do. I also want range depth to be set to tool length. A more advanced formula would be to set the stepover value that was driven by tool diameter, depth of cut, min value and max value. The min and max would mean that if you formula came up to a % stepover that was less than (5%) or greater than (30%) it would like in those values instead. Those values are only examples but they are what I would actually use for adaptive roughing. In my opinion, after you pick your operation, the tool you select drives all those parameters. I understand rigidity of your setup will effect some things but I think can (99% of the time) control that with speed and feeds.

Right at the beginning though, depth of cut being set to flute length and range depth being set to tool length would be helpful for now. I hope want I described above is clear.

I would suggest submitting IRs on the specific things you would like to see to GTAC.

CAM development IS aware users want this (in a generic sense), but they're not sure what we want (specifically).

When you submit the IR, (assuming it is not an actual bug in code) it will probably be converted to an ER (enhancemenet request).  Once that happens, feel free to post the ERs here (number and text describing what you want), and encourage other users to submit "Me too" ERs.

There's power in numbers :-)

Learn online

Solution Information