Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G2/3 output for Siemens 840D

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi,

i have used some of the examples in NX 11  including "mill_3axis_Sinumerik_840D_mm" which is a preloaded post. It seems to work on the cycles like drilling(Cycle81/82/etc). The problem I am having is it does not do circular moves. I have a standard pocket with radius corners and the toolpath on the screen in NX looks good. I post process it using a Sinumerik post processor and it always comes out as linear xy moves. If I change to a fanuc post, including one I use at work all the time for a Mori Sieki....the moves are posted as circular G2/3 moves.

I have tried looking in postbuilder at this Sinumerik post and it has a Circular Move section under "Motion" that lists G2/3 moves, but the post never uses them.

So, my question....what I am I missing to make the generic Sinumerik posts do G2/3 circular moves?

3 REPLIES

Re: G2/3 output for Siemens 840D

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you dig into the post (open the tcl file in an editor) see where (what proc) it sets "mom_kin_arc_output_mode" to  "LINEAR".

You will also (probably) want to deal with "mom_kin_helical_arc_output_mode".

You can then edit the post in PB and edit that proc (note it may be more than 1 proc) and (brute force) just comment out the lines.  Or you can be more elegant and try to back-track on the settings that cause it to do that, and alter those settings. Then (serious amount of recursion here) back track on those settings, etc.

IMHO, you are "pushing on a rope" to get what YOU want output (rather than what they want to output), when you use the Siemens controller templates to create a post.  (or use the OOTB examples).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It might be that the post activates special mode e.g. compress at the start. In such cases no circle motions are outputted.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the Siemens template uses Compress (?compcad?) to control the arc output.

The problem I have encountered is that even if you set the value to "off" in the "start of program" event, other proc(s) turn it back on later.  So you have to turn it off in every operation ("start of path" may or may not work for changing this)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information