Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GEOMETRY vs. MCS_MILL selection.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm pretty sure almost everything we post out here for 2 through 5 axis is in G54.  I'm speculating though, because I haven't yet programmed for each of every one of our machines.  We use third party tool managment, verification and post processing.  I have to add multiple comments for each toolpath and a manual toolchange line for every tool too.

I have had three days of basic training, but because of the way we do things here some of it really doesn't apply to how I have to do things so that's why I'm trying to figure out the best approach.  I have a pretty strong CAM background and really don't have too hard of a time figuring out the toolpaths in NX it's all of the ancillary stuff that's going on that I can't get a decent answer on from any co-workers.  This thread is the best information I've received so far.

Re: GEOMETRY vs. MCS_MILL selection.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

To speed up calculation time for a big or complex part where you only machine a small area, use only operations the utilize a milling area.

Example:

1. cavity milling uses trim boundary
    • roughing takes 5 minutes to generate
    • rest milling takes 30 minutes to generate
  2. cavity milling uses milling area
    • roughing takes 1 minute to generate
    • rest milling takes 5 minutes to generate

The boundaries are only limiting the output of the calculated tool path, but not the faces used for calculation.

The milling area is limiting the output and faces used for calculation, which contain the selected and surrounding faces.

In respect to face milling, you should prefer the FACE_MILLING_AREA operation.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Learn online

Solution Information