Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

GTAC - No reaction

Genius
Genius

Hi,

Lately, I am having problems with NX 11.0.2 regarding the size of the CAM .prt file.  The size of one of my lasts .prt files almost reached 2 GB, which decreased the performance of NX and my computer as well.

Has any of you had experienced something similar? 

I submitted a ticket in the GTAC regarding this problem; the coordinator explained to me how to reduce the file size, but he didn't write how to avoid this behavior, and now I am having the same problem with a new CAM program again.

IR #8958363.

Salvador Peregrina
Manufacturing Team Leader| NX 12.0.2
7 REPLIES 7

Re: GTAC - No reaction

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Salvador,

I am sorry for this inconvinience.

Would you mind sending me a PM with the name of your GTAC coordinator, so that I can check the situation?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Genius
Genius

Thank you Alexander! Just sent you a PM.

Cheers, 

Salvador Peregrina

Salvador Peregrina

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm not sure if your problem here has been resolved yet, but one other customer I have spoken to shared the same issue and we were able to find the root of the problem and solve it. He was using NX CAM under the assumption that he needed to save an IPW for every single operation in order to be able to use 3D Dynamic verification for every tool path from the first to the last. This is not true, however. You do not need a saved IPW for every operation to see the current IPW for whatever tool path you are verifying.

There are a couple of methods for saving the IPW. The one the mentioned customer was using was to select the Show 3D IPW command in the Workpiece group of the Home tab. This command will not only show the IPW for a selected operation, but will also save that IPW in the background so that it shows up more quickly the next time the user selects the command with the same operation. The way a user can tell that the IPW is saved is by turning on the IPW column in the Operation Navigator properties and then seeing what oerations have the green check mark in that column. If it has the check mark, the IPW is saved. If it has the black X, no IPW is saved.

Here lies the problem. While it is convenient to be able to see an operation's IPW more quickly when selecting Show 3D IPW, every one of those saved represents a separate facet body that is saved in the file, which potentially makes the file size very large. So if a user has hundreds of operations each with its own saved IPW, then there are hundreds of facet bodies on unseen layers taking up a lot of memory. Thus a user has a choice to make. Is the convenience of seeing the 3D IPW faster with Show 3D IPW and 3D Dynamic verification more important than disk space? If not and you want to reduce the file size, right-click on operations with a saved IPW and select Workpiece --> Delete 3D.

I hope this helps solve your problem. If not, we will have to explore other possible reasons for such a heavy file size.

Legend
Legend

Thanks for this tip!

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Genius
Genius
This is the answer I was looking for!

The milling program I am currently working on was almost 1.5 GB, and now it is 216 MB.

Thanks for your help.

Salvador Peregrina

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

1.5 GB to 216 MB - impressive... So you were using "Show 3D IPW" command all the time? Or it was saved in the background somehow?

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Genius
Genius
Hi, Marek,

To be honest, I am not so sure if the IPW is saved in the background for every operation, but I guess NX keeps the IPW everytime I tried to simulate an operation of my milling program, and since the CAM program contains plenty of operations, the part file got bigger and bigger.

Salvador Peregrina

Learn online

Solution Information