Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Value from a UDE to use in start of operation First tools or Tool change

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I have created some probing operations using UDE's and I need to output a different tool change command and length "H" offset call up depending on a selection in the UDE?

We have a probe tool with cranked stylus having three possible stylus directions and I have one tool definition now I could just create three tools in NX and then catch the tool number and output the correct "H" offset and just set the tool call to output the correct info, BUT I would prefer just to have the one tool definition and just use the selection added to the UDE to control which stylus to use my problem is that the required value isn't active until after I need it?

I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction I could try and loop all the UDE's to only process second time around so that the values are "known" but I am not sure on the best method for this either?

Any help as always is greatly appreciated!

Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2
3 REPLIES

Re: Getting a Value from a UDE to use in start of operation First tools or Tool change

Phenom
Phenom

UDEs on the operation are not available until MOM_initial_move (or MOM_first_move if no tool change.) For this reason it can make sense to delay any output until then. This (from the old help) is the breakdown on the timing:

START OF PROGRAM
UDEs attached to the program
START OF GROUP (NC_PROGRAM, GENERIC_MACHINE, GEOMETRY, METHOD)
UDEs attached to the group
UDEs attached to the geometry with Start Post commands
UDEs attached to the method with Start Post commands
UDEs attached to the cutting tool with Start Post commands
UDEs attached to the machine tool with Start Post commands
START OF OPERATION
TOOL CHANGE (not LOAD command)
UDEs attached to the operation with Start Post commands
INITIAL MOVE
UDEs attached to the operation with End Post commands
END OF OPERATION
UDEs attached to the geometry with End Post commands
UDEs attached to the method with End Post commands
UDEs attached to the tool with End Post commands
UDEs attached to the machine tool with End Post commands

END OF PROGRAM

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Re: Getting a Value from a UDE to use in start of operation First tools or Tool change

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

As Study says, you can delay the tool change output until the initial move occurs, some times I have used this approach. The tool change event is empty and is passed to the initial move.

You can try also to create a new machine control operation and put it before the operation, the post must handle this machine control operation and you can read the event before the operation is processed.

Regards

Frank.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note if you put a "Tool Change Marker" "UDE" (see the bottom of the UDE list) after your UDE, the data for your UDE will be available in the tool change event (assuming there's a tool change)

Other options:

- Add UDE to METHOD view methods, have user select correct method

- Use more structure in the Machine tool view (e.g. pocket + 3 tools in pocket?)

- possibly more

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information