Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Groove Plung One Pass

Anyone know how to make a single plunge with a groove tool? Right now using 'Plung Zig'.

Containments are set to minimum where there is still a 'Cut Region'. It does take one pass intially then raises up and goes back in the groove.

It also gives me the message:

System could not determine an avoidance path to the destination position. Chose Axial or DIrect.

Any tricks for doing this would be greatly appreciated. Using NX 10.0.0.24

Cyl

8 REPLIES

Re: Groove Plung One Pass

1) RE: 2nd pass: Try turning off "cleanup"

Also there is at least one uganswer article I recall about grooving with a single plunge move (i.e. tool geometry = groove geometry)

2) avoidance path warning, (also min clear warnings)  -  Try setting "non cutting move" -> Clearance tab -> axial (and radial) safe clearance to 0.  These 2 settings just annoy me, with little (to me) perceived benefit to setting any value in them.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Tried all this. Not sure if this is possible. I will contact GTAC and let you know if I find a solution.

Thank you

Cyl

I found it easier just to use the Part Off Operation when I just wanted a single plunge.
NX 8.5.3.3

The other option is teach mode

Cant use teach because I'm peck grooving to break the chip. There would be too many points to program.

The PART OFF sounds pretty good if I could control the X and the Z? I'll look at the help. Never used it.

Thanks

If you have NX10 the part off is probably better (I think that was an NX10 enhancement, could have been NX9)

I'm on NX7.5, so I added a UDE to convert a G1 move to a G7[4 or 5] w/ peck

This is taken from documentation (CAM -> Manufacturing Turning -> Roughing overview -> Plunge roughing overview)

As reported below, at the very end, maybe you can try narrowing the groove with side stock to make its width like tool's

Hope it helps, regards.

You can make a single plunge cut into a groove that is the same width as the tool insert.

To cut grooves equal to the insert width:

1. Place at least two containment trim planes (or points) around the groove feature as shown below. The containment trim planes can be aligned with the walls, or simply placed near the walls. This forces the grooving tool to cut into the narrow groove.

Containment trim planes aligned with groove wall

Containment trim planes placed near groove walls
  2. Remove any positive operation stock.

3. Remove any positive custom boundary offsets or stock applied to the groove.

As the groove width equals the insert width, the tool will cut the groove.

Result:

or

Stock and boundary offsets

You can use this same technique to cut a groove that is equal to the insert width after applying stock and boundary offsets. Verify this equation applies: groove width – 2 * (stock+offsets) = insert width.

For example:

or

• insert width = 10mm

• groove width = 12mm

• stock = 1mm

Applied groove width = 12– 2*1 = 10: The software will cut the groove.

Result:

or

Note

When the tool insert width is equal to the groove width, the software will only cut the groove. The material on top of the diameters is not cut.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by MarkRief (VIP)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

GTAC solved the problem.

Changing the ‘Cutting Parameters -> Strategy -> Cut Constraints -> Minimum Cut Depth -> Distance’ to .1 removed all motion except the Chip Control pecking motion.

Thanks for the help with this.

Cyl

Learn online

Solution Information