Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Features

Genius
Genius

I am trying to use the Group Features command to group holes for use in Manual Drilling operations, and seem to have hit a wall on being able to make it create the feature groups.

No matter what I have the settings set to, I get an Alert that says, "No new feature groups created, check your filter settings"

I have tried every combination of settings with the same result.

Am I missing something, what filter settings is the Alert referring to?

NX10.0.2.6

Mike Diamond, CNC Programmer, Orizon Aerostructures Inc.

Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 7.4.1, ICAM V21
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11
2 REPLIES

Re: Group Features

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

This typically means one of two things:

1. Your workpiece doesn't have a part geometry defined yet. Each recognized feature points to a body and the feature groups can only be created under a workpiece object which contains the corresponding body as part geometry.

2. Your MCS definition needs to be changed. Each recognized feature has a local CSYS; the Z direction of that local CSYS determines the (primary) machining direction. Feature groups will only be created under an MCS if the +Z direction of the recognized feature matches the Tool Axis setting of the MCS. There are 2 different ways in which you can setup your MCS Tool Axis

- +Z of MCS (only feature groups with matching Z direction will be allowed)

- All Axis (all machining directions will be allowed).

If you MCS Edit dialog doesn't show the Tool Axis, then you can assume that it is set to +Z of MCS (you can use Object -> Customize to add the Tool Axis to the dialog if needed).

I hope this helps.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM development

Re: Group Features

Genius
Genius

Thanks Tom, I didn't have the part selected in the workpiece. I have it working now.

I couldn't find anywhere in the help docs. that specified that the part had to be selected in the workpiece, add to that the fact that when you are finding the features the part does not need to be selected in the workpiece, it is pretty confusing.

Mike Diamond, CNC Programmer, Orizon Aerostructures Inc.

Production: NX10.0.3.5, Vericut 7.4.1, ICAM V21
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk
Testing: NX11

Learn online

Solution Information