Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Has anyone tested the always change to constant stepover customer default?

Starting with NX 10.0.2 there is a new customer default for setting the machining data through the feeds & speeds library "Manufacturing => Operation => General => Machining Data => Always change stepover type to constant".

Has anyone had a go at it?

What was the behaviour if the operation template was set to use tool %, for example?

Was the percent value adjusted to result in the value specified in the library, which would be the expected behaviour?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
6 REPLIES

Re: Has anyone tested the always change to constant stepover customer default?

Hello Stefan,

I used a similar option in NX 9.0.3.4

In the Set Machining Data Library you can activate/deactivate the stepover for each combination of tool, cut method and material.

I did it for the operations created by FBM. NX respects the values that were set in the Machining Knowledge but I do not know the behavior when you want to create an operation manually.

Salvador Peregrina

Picture1.jpg

Yes, I know about being able to not set the cut depth and step over values, but that is not what I asked for, sorry.

The customer default I mentioned will that do the following?

For a diameter 8mm end mill the step over might be set to 4mm.

With the setting enabled, which is the default, the step over will be changed to constant and the value 4mm will be applied.

What is the result if the setting is disabled, will the step over be kept at tool%, like it is in the template operation, and the value will be set to 50, which in turn results in the 4mm value of the library, since it is 50% of the tool diameter?

The description of the setting is not really clear and in my opinion it doesn't serve any real purpose at the moment.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Sorry Stefan, I thought it was a similar option. I am no using NX 10 yet so I cannot help you.

Good Luck!

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefan_Pendl
‎10-25-2016 04:57 AM

If the customer default is on, then the behavior is exactly the same as it has been for a long, long time - we set the option to constant and use the stepever from set machining data. However, we had complaints that this does not preserve the intent of the user when using Multiple or Scallop stepover types. If you turn this customer default off, the behavior of set machining data is different in these cases:

Multiple Stepover:

• Do not change the type.
  • Do not change anything that is %Tool.
  • If there is only one value defined, and it is using part units, change it to the constant value from the database.
  • If there are multiple values defined:
    • If the last distance is part units, change it to the constant value from the database.
    • For each remaining distance, if it is larger than the last, reduce it to the last.

Scallop Stepover:

• Do not change anything. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

I will check the NX documentation for this description, if I cannot find it, I will file an ER to get it included Smiley Wink

ER#7867540 is created to have the information provided by @MarkRief included in the NX documentation.

If this is of value to you, ask GTAC to be added to this ER.

Learn online

Solution Information