cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heidenhain post

Creator
Creator

Any suggestions on a starting post for a Horizontal Boring Mill with a Itnc530 ISO programmed. Axis X, Y, Z, B, V, W   Where V is the machine table, W is the machine quill, and Z is the machine ram.  Note, V, W, Z are collinear.

Thanks in advance

Don

4 REPLIES

Re: Heidenhain post

Phenom
Phenom

No advise for heidenhain. Parallel axes - look at pb_cmd_zw_axis.tcl in the custom command directory. Basically you would manually set two of the parallel axes and drive the third. The best approach I think is to set the one that is driven to represent the part coordinate at tool tip (by presetting all of them.) The example uses the set_axis ude to manually position the two dead ones and the live one is controlled by cam. The example uses MOM_before_output routine to do final adjustments to all positions. I have experience with Siemens controlled machine matching your kinematics - the ideal situation is if the control has a automatic tracking feature.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Innovator
Innovator

If it should happen that the Z axis travel is not sufficient to reach "top" to "bottom" in a single operation you can put some logic into the post so the output axis switches on-the-fly between W and Z.  I've seen it done.  The V is usually positioned by a UDE.

Good luck

George

George R. Bennett
GRB Consulting
W7 Ult
Various NX versions from 6 to 9
Dell Precision M6700

Phenom
Phenom

I agree with George on how nice it would be for travel limits to be evaluated from operation start to finish and V be set accordingly. The machine I am working on - the ram only has one meter travel and there is a big rectangular table plate with a B rotary. In addition there are 4 heads. It is best if the post can see machine position and evaluate travel limits to automate decisions. I think - based on the code I have seen out of the box - the post will have to be heavily customized. If you know someone that has this experience - or are willing to spend the time on it yourself - be prepared for some work and/or cost for a good post for this machine configuration.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have played with this on a 2 axis (W&Z only) Siemens control.

What I did was:

- write a "flag" line at beginning of operation

- as I process op, for each line, I keep track of max/min "z direction" value, and B value

- after op is done, calculate closest position table can get to column (taking into account table corners & B axis, plus 1" clearance).

- replace "flag" line with proper table position

- quill then deals with the Z motion during the operation.

- Note this requires a (reasonably) accurate tool length

Not a trivial task!

I have UDEs to control which axis is "manual", and alter the position from the "automatic" positioning done above.

I also check axis limits as needed & warn if they are exceeded.  Also suggest (if possible) nominal (min) tool length required.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information