cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed constructing mill path paralell to z axis

Creator
Creator

2334.jpg

Since I'm still just learning using nx and english is not my native language I can't seem to figure out how it would be possible to create a mill path with that tool on that groove, i know it wont look preety to cut away all the material since the groove is circle and the tool is a rectangle but a close approximation is still ok.

I get a lot of errors such as "Blank geometry must be defined in the Geometry group when using 3d ipw" i usually created a blank by using the "create box" command when typing box in top search bar.

Or " A clearance geometry transfer method is requested but no clearance geometry is specified"

or that it cant be cut on any levels.

When im working with parts where im cutting perpendicular to z axis, (cutting on xy plane) i have no problems, but here where i need to cut pararell to z axis I have alot of problems.

I hope someone can help me out with my trouble, thank you.

11 REPLIES

Re: Help needed constructing mill path paralell to z axis

Legend
Legend

Post file and I will add toolpath for you.

NX11.0.1

Creator
Creator

Hello, here it is

(had to add .txt to the file at the end since the site doesnt allow to upload .prt)

Legend
Legend

Can't seem to open it after converting back to .prt.

Please upload in zip or link dropbox download.

NX11.0.1

Genius
Genius

Creator
Creator

Hi, thanks for your help, I tried to recreate the operation from the first file on my own and im stuck at drive geometry, I'm not sure how you did it, and why there is an offset line

1LINE.jpg2 drive geometry.jpg

this is how far I got

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

but something is missing

Genius
Genius

when creating the boundary choose Points option instead of curve/edge, then select the four endpoints of the two offset lines. The boundary is closed, the plane is user defined (the one you selected is good) the Tool position is ON and not Tanto. The  offset of the upper edge is done to lower the first level of the toolpath and is equal to the tool flute length plus 0.05 the offset of the lower edge is done to lift up the last pass.

Legend
Legend

Thank you for posting your paths public. I saved these 2 files for my own future reference because I learned something new about boundary definition paths. This is great forum with many knowledgeable people.

NX11.0.1

Creator
Creator

Ok, I selected the cut area, selected boundary with points, selected plane, selected cut angle vector, selected projection vector, but when clicking on generate it still doesnt generate any tool path :/

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg6.1.jpg

when on your operation i click display in "boundary drive method" it shows nice lines, but when i try to preview on my operation it doesnt show anything

9.jpg10.jpg

Genius
Genius

post the file.

Learn online

Solution Information