cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Combining two files in NX9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi All,

I need to combine 2 NX files. Each has Cam in them. I was able to clean the files but if I try to import one into the other I get a Memory Access error. If I try to import into a new file I get a memory access error. Once upon a time we were supposed to be able to copy and paste NC and geometry from one file to another but that seems to not work anymore. Is there a procedure to follow when combining files with NC. Or do I have to reprogram a 300 hour part?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

9 REPLIES

Re: Help with Combining two files in NX9

Randy,

First the obvious questions - are they the same units? Is the source part from a newer release than you are running? Assuming you a;lready checked these...

File > Import > Part, with CAM Objects on, is the way to go if you want everything. I just tried it in 9.0.3 and it worked great.

For an alternative, you should be able to copy/paste from the geometry view. Select a node just below GEOMETRY and Unused Items, and copy. In the destination part, select GEOMETRY and Paste Inside. This should paste all the geometry, the child operations, and any tools, programs, and methods that the operations use.

If you still get errors, check the syslog for clues, or call GTAC.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mark,

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes the units are the same.

2) They are the same version.

3) I can import the part without cam.

4) I can copy and paste the cam.

5) The Syslog says Internal Error but gives no idea.

I have also deleted the operations from each stage and I still get the same error. Unfortunately due to the nature of the part I cannot send it to GTAC so I am kind of up the creek.

It looks like my only option is to copy and paste the cam which works but disconnects the operations from any real geometry so I will have to go thru each geometry group and/or operation and re-connect the geometry if I want to be able to edit the operations.

I was hoping I was doing something wrong and either I could get the Import to work or Copy and Paste would bring the physical geometry with it but so far I have had no luck.

Unfortunately we have to sometimes have multiple programmers work a job at the same time and we get into this issue just about every time. Since two people cannot work in the same file at the same time (totally understandable) we are stuck trying to put the pieces together afterwards. The only way we have been able to make this work is with Import since any other method disconnects the operations from the physical geometry.

It looks like I have some long days ahead of me.

Thank for your suggestions though.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you can't send the part you should at least be able to send the syslog to GTAC.

Sometimes it is possible to resolve the issue by checking the syslog by a support engineer.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stefan,

I reported this to GTAC and sent the log as you suggested.

Thanks

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

As a interesting note on this subject I could not use the copy and paste from one file to the next nor was I able to import. I deleted the assemblies from the file and then the copy/paste worked, of course the geometry was disconnected. The import still did not work. I deleted all geometry from the file for Gtac since I could not send the geometry and the import still would not work. I thought it interesting that deleting the assemblies caused the copy/paste to work.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In some cases boundaries are causing such problems.

If you create geometry groups, you usually don't have these problems, only geometry defined inside of operations gives you headaches.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stefan,

That is good to know. We have reciently started using more geometry groups so maybe we are headed in the right direction.

Thank You!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

A little late to the party...

Occasionally I get memory errors when I paste programs.  Usually my errors have to do with operations that are using reference tools.

NX 11.0.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I do use reference tools a lot and I use geometry in the operation a lot. I will in the future try to reduce the need for at least the operation geometry, I don't see not using reference tools since there are few alternatives other than trim boundaries. Thank you for the information.

I submitted the cam to GTAC and they sent it to the developers to find out what was wrong. They sent the file back without telling me what they found but it would import. Unfortunatly whatever they did disconnected the operations from the geometry and deleted the CL out of them. So it was a wasted effort. I do appreciate them taking the time to try and help me.

Learn online

Solution Information