Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Machining (milling)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, 

I am having troubles to set my machining operations right. I tried different operation options, different approaches and different parameters but nothing seems to work for me.

I use Siemens NX 10 and I am fairly new to it.

I would like to machine the part attached. First operation would be Face and there´s not problem with that.

However second operation, when I want software to mill material in rectangular shape around the part (with sharp corners, not yet circular) the NX does weird things for me, like not giving any tool paths or giving me errors that there is no material to mill. 

Next operation would be to take material out of the corners, then followed by milling of the middle line pocket and last operation would be milling the two cavities/pockets at both sides.

I already did this simulation in SolidCAM and Inventor and it was okay to set it but NX doesn´t like me it seems.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES

Re: Help with Machining (milling)

Experimenter
Experimenter

TEM MUITAS MANEIRAS DE FAZER ESTE PROCESSO. NO ENTANTO VOCÊ PODE PASSAR UM EXEMPLO DA MANEIRA QUE VOCÊ GOSTARIA DE TRABALHAR!

(IT HAS MANY WAYS TO DO THIS PROCESS.   HOWEVER YOU CAN PASS AN EXAMPLE OF THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO WORK!)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Petrichor

Hope this helps with some strategies. If you have any questions or would like a different style of cut let us know.

Regards

Paul

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Smiley Happy sorry for late reply, i was overloaded with stuff.

Thanks for the file, i will analyze it and try to figure out how to do it properly because I will do similar simulation but using trochoidal milling and I need to know how traditional works first.

Thanks again and if i´ll have more questions I will post them here Smiley Wink 

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Petrichor

If you have any futher questions or need help with trochoidal please let us know.

Regards

Paul

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am going through the simulation now and there is a small problem with it. During milling of the corners, the tool after it passes one level of toolpaths then retracks to the safe plane above the part. This is repeated for every level of toolpaths and it is not very time effective. I would like it to retract maybe 2 mm above the current level of cut.

I didnt find any solution to this except for changing "transfer using" to lift and plunge in "within regions" in Transfer/rapid page of Non cutting moves. However this option then completely ignores the "extra" paths i set at the entrance and exit from the material that are linear and relative to the cut. 

Any help ?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Also,

any idea why the NX generates weird toolpaths for trochoidal milling of corners? Three are fine and trochoidal but 4th is completely different, "classic" toolpaths.

There is no difference in geometry or anything.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Petrichor

Sorry for the delayed responce I've been tied up on a project.

Basically the initial strategy I used with the trim boundary was preventing the extra bit of cutting.

I have made a new strategy without the trim boundary but divided the botom face to prevent additional cuts but allows for the more efficient strategy you want. As you can appreciate NXCAM has lots of cool options and they can compete with each other sometimes so if you wan't super efficient cutting you sometimes have to add some addition information to the model to cut in a particular way.

Attached is the part file.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Petrichor

I would say the trim boundary also interfered with the trochoidal solution and your parameters might have been close to the limits for a workable trochoidal path in the small area. It's hard to tell without your trochoidal sample. I have attached a sample where each corner is trochoidally machined the same in the one operation.

In NX12 we have released Adaptive MIlling which will produce better results for you. If you have a chance please try NX12.

Regards

Paul

Experimenter
Experimenter

Okay thanks for your support Smiley Happy

I somehow managed to get everything almost exactly how I wanted.

Thank you again and good luck Smiley Wink

Learn online

Solution Information