cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with milling curved id groove in a part

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am having trouble getting an id tool path to mill the id of a spherical outer race of a bearing. I have a special tool that points the cutter in the -Z direction on a mill turn. I tried making this path by using fixed contour because I need the tool axis fixed in that -z direction. I selected curve/point drive method because I made a separate sketch of the curved profile. I also specified the cut area to be each half of the circular groove. I didn't choose the radii at the ends because it was rolling over at the ends which I didn't want. Now my problem is that the cutter plunges into a drill hole at the part that intersects the groove. I know I can delete the hole out of the model, but I don't want to do that. I also don't want to make a sketch of an arc for the tool path to follow. I am hoping there is a way to get this tool path just from the model I was given and not draw extra geometry like lines or arcs and modify the solid. If you know a way I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

idg1.jpgidg2.jpg

Using NX 8.0.3.4
3 REPLIES

Re: Help with milling curved id groove in a part

Legend
Legend

you can add to your "part" : a enlarge surface or patch surface for close your hole 

or 

insert => linked body => synchronous modeling => delete face and change you part by this "new part"

I hope this helps

@mkn
Production: NX11.0.2.7,VERICUT 7.3.3
Development: Tcl/Tk, Gnuplot
www.deshors-tiremold.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Is the hole already there?

Would you mind doing it in 2 operations?

Just do each half in one operation...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Post the file

NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information