cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heredity of Methods in NXCAM?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! In past we only worked with two methods in NXCAM: DRILLING and MILLING. In future we want to have more Milling-Methods like we find it in default:

2017-06-12 15_51_27-Operation Navigator - Machining Method.png

My question is: Why does the heredity not work?

Example: Operation PLANAR_MILL is in the template "mill_planar" below the method MILL_FINISH. I thought that it is automaticly inherited below method MILL_FINISH in my CAM-Setup if I select this operation from template. But this is not true. NXCAM ist very silly in this case. I have to choose the method by hand and later every new operation is also below this method till I choose another one.

Am I doing something wrong?

6 REPLIES

Re: Heredity of Methods in NXCAM?

Usually, the parents are determined by the user who creates the operation. If you want the parents in the template part to be used, then you need to turn on the template setting in the template operation to Create if Parent is Created. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why should the method be inherited from the template?

What would be the benefit to have multiple planar milling operations for each and every method you use it with?

The dialog to create an operation always uses the selected parents.

Dialog memory is enabled as it is with many other dialogs in NX.

If you need a dedicated set of operations and parents, then you need to use a different template strategy:

1. "file => new" template
    • a exact 1:1 copy of the CAM session will be created
  2. geometry, method or tool group templates
    • any operation below the parent will be created if the operations template setting is set to do so

May be it is time to attend a CAM configuration training, since there are many gotchas, do's and don't's.

If you have experience with any other CAM system, throw away anything you learned about configuring it, since NX is different.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! Thank you for answering. Allow me one more question: For what do I have the method-structure in the templates and for what the operations are below this different methods? Only for a better overview for the creator of the template? In my opinion heredity would make sense. If I don't want to have it I could easily select a different method. We want to create two different methods for milling: Planar_Milling_Method and Contour_Milling_Method. It would be great if e.g. Face_Milling by default would inherit the method Planar_Milling_Method and Planar_Profile would inherit the method Contour_Milling_Method by default. Why not?

Mark, "If you want the parents in the template part to be used, then you need to turn on the template setting in the template operation to Create if Parent is Created." => What do I have exactly to do? I don't understand.

Stefan, CAM-Configuration training would be great. After 10 years administration there are still so many secrets Smiley Wink

Thank you all.

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The templates are also used to initialize a CAM session in NX, so you can specify CAM objects to be automatically copied over, when you use a template for initialization.

Have you checked out the video tutorials about template creation posted in the manufacturing KB here?

The CAM object creation works like this since the ONT was first introduced in Unigraphics v16, nothing changed since then for the fundamentals. It is still the same with NX 11 (Unigraphics v29 [31st major release due to NX 7.5 and 8.5]).

I would add the methods to the template you are using to initialize the CAM session, this allows you to have them present whenever you need them.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

jobe wrote:

Hello! Thank you for answering. Allow me one more question: For what do I have the method-structure in the templates and for what the operations are below this different methods? Only for a better overview for the creator of the template? In my opinion heredity would make sense. If I don't want to have it I could easily select a different method. We want to create two different methods for milling: Planar_Milling_Method and Contour_Milling_Method. It would be great if e.g. Face_Milling by default would inherit the method Planar_Milling_Method and Planar_Profile would inherit the method Contour_Milling_Method by default. Why not?

The system can do this if you set up your template correctly.

jobe wrote:

Mark, "If you want the parents in the template part to be used, then you need to turn on the template setting in the template operation to Create if Parent is Created." => What do I have exactly to do? I don't understand.

Stefan, CAM-Configuration training would be great. After 10 years administration there are still so many secrets Smiley Wink

Open the template part, and be sure the operation is in the method group you want. If you want the other 3 parents selected be the end user, then move the operation to Unused in the other three views. Right click the operation > Template Setting > and check Create if parent is created. 

As @Stefan_Pendl says, the template mechanism to create with or without each of the 4 parents is not new.

Please at least watch the video on creating a template, where this is explained. The behavior in the red box occurs whether the operation is created individually or as part of a geometry group.

template_settings.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens
Moved:

Learn online

Solution Information