Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide User Defined and System Machine Control Events

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone!

I am trying to find a way to simplify the list of UDEs available for start and end events. I would like to hide some system machine control events as they are used very rarely if ever. I know I can delete them from the .cdl file, but I would prefer to not have to do this every time I update my post processor so I am hoping for a way to do this through Post Builder. 

Has anyone came across a way to delete or hide unused system machine control events?

Thanks ahead of time!

Adam  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Hide User Defined and System Machine Control Events

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note for the following: I do NOT enable UDE editing/specification in my PB posts.

REALLY briefly:

In %UGII_BASE_DIR%\mach\resource\configuration

Open one of the .dat files (e.g. cam_general.dat)

Note the line:

USER_DEFINED_EVENTS,${UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR}ude.cdl,${UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR}ude.tcl

This specifies the .CDL file (the list of events) and a .tcl file 

What you want to do:

1) Copy one of the existing configuration .dat files to a new name (e.g. "Adam_Config.dat")

2) Edit the above line to point to your .CDL file, e.g.:

USER_DEFINED_EVENTS,${UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR}adam_ude.cdl,${UGII_CAM_USER_DEF_EVENT_DIR}ude.tcl

3) In the  %UGII_BASE_DIR%\mach\resource\user_def_event folder, copy the "UDE.CDL" file to the name you used in step 2 (e.g. to adam_ude.cdl)

4) Edit that file, remove UDEs as desired.

5) When you open CAM, go to Manufacturing -> Preferences -> "Configuration" tab -> and select your file (from step 1 - e.g. "Adam_Config.dat") before you start programming 

For more documentation (you don't specify your version, I'm assuming NX12), see here (as a starting point):

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12/nx_help/#uid:xid1128418:index_mfggeneral:cust_cam

If you are going to customize CAM, I **HIGHLY** recommend copying the \mach\resource tree to another location (on a network drive, so all your users see the same thing) and edit there, and use ENV variables to point NX to that location.  If you use the "NXCustom" environment (see here: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/NXcustom-Utilitie...) this can be all pre-set for you - read the "readme" file at the top level for how to use.

Hope this doesn't overwhelm you ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: Hide User Defined and System Machine Control Events

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the quick reply Ken!

I already have a custom shared directory for CAM for all users, absolutely essential I agree! I am using NX12.0.2.  I have read through most if not all of that documentation with no sucess regarding this topic. They are very helpful resources though!

My UDE files are sourced when importing a machine into NX CAM from the machine library, so I don't have to create my own .cdl file and load it each time I program. When I import that machine (or already have it imported in my CAM template), it locates the UDE file from the "include" line of the .def file. I currently have my post set to "include Own CDL file" to write the include line in the .def file for me and include any UDEs I create within Post Builder automatically. 

I am trying to avoid doing any "hand editing" to the post processor files. That way I can update the post through Post Builder and be done, no hand editing, no moving files etc. If I hand edit the .cdl file generated by PB, it will be overwritten next time I save.

I know I can source seperate UDE files as well, but I edit them often, and I find it cleaner and easier to have everything in post builder unless I need specific UDEs shared across many posts.

So while the solution you provided works (and is what I am currently using), its not exactly what I am after. What I am trying to do is hide the default UDEs as they just get in the way of the end user. See the attached image. All events that are starred are ones that I want to see, the rest I want to hide (Auxfun, Dwell, Tool Length Compensation, Extra Tool Change, etc). This is directly from my Post Builder file, again no hand editing. 

So a few questions I have are:

Is there no way to hide these directly though post builder?

Is it usually the case that UDEs are always specified in a seperate file from the post?

What are the disadvantages to enabling editing/specification in your PB posts?

Thanks again!

Adam 

Learn online

Solution Information