Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hobbing milling for Mill-turn

Hi,

Any one worked Mill-turn machine programing for gear hobbing operation, How to setup in CAM & post processor, please proved for solution for this gear hobbing operation.

3 REPLIES

Re: Hobbing milling for Mill-turn

I can't provide a solution, as it depends on machine/controller/etc.

My general approach would be to set up a user-defined event (or sub-op) then program the motions required in a generic motion operation.

Alter the output as required in the post (i.e. change a G1 linear motion to whatever is required.)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I'm also looking for answer to this question.

Are there any known approaches how to program gear hobbing in NX?

Does anyone know how NC code should look like? In my case, machine doesn't have canned cycles for that.

Also would it be handled by ISV with proper material removal (which I doubt)?

This is an example of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tMFFNpVaxU

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 11.0.2
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I will create a turning toolpath with round shape insert (OD grooving tool with round insert) with multiple passes using arc engage and retract, use required spindle speed in operation in NX. In post processor, I will add a command to start rotating your gear cutter (basically milling cutter rotation on Mill Turn machine).

Imagine, a turning tool cutting an OD with multiple passes. Instead of turning tool, use gear hobbing tool on actual machine.

I do not know whether IS&V would handle it or not but in Vericut (if you have) you can simulate the G&M code taken out from NX with actual tool (gear hobb) used on machine. Otherwise you need to do trial and error method on machine.

BR,

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Learn online

Solution Information