Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hole Making function - effect on file size

[ Edited ]

Apologies for the duplicate post - I'm having some issues with login credentials.  Please respond to this one as I'll actually see the emails!  I did try to delete the other one, but apparently "delete" doesn't do what I think it does....

We upgraded to NX9 back in July, and for the most part the named references (Teamcentre managed environment) aren't appreciably different for models and drawings.  However, we have started using the Hole Making feature in CAM, and I discovered yesterday that we have one file which is 1810Mb (and isn't finished yet).  This particular CAM file only has around 60-70 tools in it, whereas an earlier (NX7.5) file with around 150 tools in it is less than 500Mb.

Clearly we need to do some additional tests, but are massive file sizes expected when using the Hole Making function?

NX9.0.3 MP06, MP06+hotfix (evaluating NX9.0.3 MP09) | TCUA9.1.2.8
Everything from Z800 12Gb RAM FX4800 to Z820 128Gb RAM Quadro K5000 to Z440 32Gb RAM Quadro K4200
9 REPLIES

Re: Hole Making function - effect on file size

Hi Steve,

Do you have Specify Feature Geometry ->In Process Workpiece set to "Use 3D" for all?

(This will store a IPW result for all operations. You can try to have this set to Local to see if this gives a different result)

Thanks,

Toon

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response Toon.  Yes, we do have it set to 3D but only for some (3) of the cycles.  This is really just so that we can see the machined geometry as a check.  I've asked the user to go back and switch it off for those cycles once he's happy with the output.  We'll see if that has any effect on the final file size.

I'm not entirely sure why, but the named reference has reduced to 1050Mb overnight - I know he did a full part cleanup late yesterday afternoon, but at the time that didn't seem to make any difference.

Everything from Z800 12Gb RAM FX4800 to Z820 128Gb RAM Quadro K5000 to Z440 32Gb RAM Quadro K4200

On further investigation, it appears that a whole series of new IPW items have been created automatically and stored in the user's "newstuff" folder.  These are neither used nor referenced by any other item (according to Teamcentre), but I suspect there may be some wave linked geometry in there.

The fact that the IPW items are separate suggests that they aren't contributing to the file size of the CAM part.  What isn't clear is whether there are any other IPW elements stored within the CAM part - something that we'll look at in more detail when the user has finished this current job.

The additional IPW files go some way to explaining why we've consumed around 70Gb more disc space than normal in the last month.

There is a setting that you can enable to save the IPW as a separate part file, there are no references stored in Teamcenter and no WAVE geometry included, since IPW is faceted body.

I would not recommend to enable that setting in Teamcenter, since it just is a headache.

You can display the IPW contained in the part file under the faceting dialog of the tools menu in manufacturing.

There you can also delete any faceted body you no longer need.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thanks Stefan.

We will experiment with deleting the faceted bodies when the job is finished.  If you do this in the faceting dialogue, does it delete the separate part file or just facet bodies in the CAM part?  Oddly the file size has been dropping steadily on this part since my original post.  It is now around 750Mb, even though there are more operations / tools in it.

The separate files are separate, so they are not affected by the faceting dialog.

Operations, tools and such are not adding much to a part file.

The major size impact is based on tool paths and IPWs.

You may also want to enable the following customer default to reduce saved file size.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Stefan_Pendl wrote:

The separate files are separate, so they are not affected by the faceting dialog.

Operations, tools and such are not adding much to a part file.

The major size impact is based on tool paths and IPWs.

You may also want to enable the following customer default to reduce saved file size.

This applies to facets that are created by the user in the CAM Faceting dialog.

Facets that the system creates to generate a path should always be deleted when the part is saved.

To see if the internal IPWs are taking up the room, turn on the IPW column in the Operation Navigator. If any are present, MB3 > Workpiece > Delete 3D.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

Mark,

If "Facets that the system creates to generate a path should always be deleted when the part is saved", why is there an option to retain them?  Under what circumstances would it be desirable / preferable to retain this data?

Steve_C wrote:

Mark,

If "Facets that the system creates to generate a path should always be deleted when the part is saved", why is there an option to retain them?  Under what circumstances would it be desirable / preferable to retain this data?

What I mean by system created facets are those created when you generate a tool path. Many processors require underlying facets. If the system needs to create them when you generate, it does so, but considers them temporary; so when you save the part, they are deleted.

The reason you would want to save them is performance, since this can be a significant part of the tool path generation time. This is why we give you the option to generate them manually in CAM Faceting.

For example, you are planning on several CM and FASC operations for a part. To save time, Create CAM Facets using your smallest tolerance before you generate anything. Now each path will generate faster. The downside is that facets take up a lot of room, so when you are done with all the programming in that part, go back to CAM facets and delete them all to save space.

Note that you will see faceted bodies from other applications also in the dialog, so pay attention to the tolerance.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information