Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Milling question/warning.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

What does this warning mean?  I get it when I try to generate the toolpath.  I'm trying to use hole machining to mill the obround holes.  I've done other features on the same side of this same block and haven't had any trouble.  Can you mill obround holes with hole machining?

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hole Milling question/warning.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

No, you can't mill the oblonged hole in its entirety with Hole Milling.  You can do each semi circle separately as their own feature (see screenshots below).

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

But this will leave a sliver of material between the straight walls.  (see screenshot below)

3.JPG

I recommend using Z Level Profile (see below).  If you're using NX12, you can set the Level to Level in Connections to 0.0 to have a constant Z engagement.

4.JPG

I hope this helps.

Tony Lisle
CAM Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions | PROLIM PLM
Excellence in Siemens PLM Software
Tony.Lisle@Prolim.com
Mobile: (513) 325-2993
Office: (513) 984-0480 ext. 123

Pioneer
Pioneer

OK, thanks.  With Z Level Profile you can't select the geometry from the Feature Navigator though, correct?  So what do the obrounds being recognized and placed into the Feature Navigator give you/help you with?

Solution Partner Genius

In the Machining Feature Navigator, the OBROUND feature is part of the POCKETS group. (see below)

1.png

If you right-click on the feature and select Create Feature Process, then the out-of-the-box operation will be a Floor Wall.

2.png

3.png

This will definitely work as well if you're concentrating on using Feature Based Machining techniques.  If you want FBM to use Z Level Profile, you'll need to Teach Operations using the Machining Knowledge Editor.

Tony Lisle
CAM Application Engineer
Tony.Lisle@Prolim.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the help.  I'll play around with that stuff and try to get it to work.

Solution Partner Genius

You're welcome, let me know if you have further questions.  Have a great day!

Tony Lisle
CAM Application Engineer
Tony.Lisle@Prolim.com

Genius
Genius
Brief remark: Use a Floor Wall operation with Helical cut pattern for this case. For pure circular cases Hole Milling is the one.
Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 12.0.1.7 MP4
In testing NX 12.0.2.9 MP5

Pioneer
Pioneer

Nice....  Floor/Wall let me pick the Feature Geometry from the toolpath dialog.  Thank you. 

Learn online

Solution Information