Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Holemaking: Predrilling with the same diameter as drilling

We have a problem with the new holemaking-operations.

First step:

Second Step:

The second step goes with a diamet 8 from the first step to manual changed depth of 20. This is pilot-drilling.

Third Step:

In the third step with the same diameter as in the second step the tool should NOT run in the 20 mm depth of pilot-drilling. The coordinate-system of the feature is at the wrong location, it should be 20 mm out of the actual location. To work with model-depth is not an alternative because the coordinate-system is at Z0 in this case.

It should be possible to tell the system, how a pre-drilling diameter with the same diameter as in the actual operation has to be handled: Run in or not run in.

Is there a solution in the moment?

Thank you for your help.

Werner

19 REPLIES

Re: Holemaking: Predrilling with the same diameter as drilling

Change the parameter "Kontrollpunkt" to "Bearbeitungsformelement" instead of "Formelement in Bearbeitung" to start at the very top of the hole.

You can then change the top offset parameter in the "Bearbeitungsparameter" section of the operation.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

[ Edited ]

Thank you Stefan. I've tried it, but I'm not happy. In my third step I've made this:

If I try it with "Machining Area = MODEL_DPETH" I get a depth of 92.4034, which is the corrct value if I calculate from the top. If I then want to change the top offset parameter in the cutting-parameters like you wrote it, I would have to specify a minus-value in the Distance for Top Offset. This is not allowed.

I'm not sure whether I have understood you correctly. In attachement you find my CAM-Setup. Perhaps is it possible to create the operation like you think. Thanks a lot.

Werner

Hi Werner,

Did you set the Rapto Offset to Auto?

Thanks,

Toon

jobe wrote:
If I then want to change the top offset parameter in the cutting-parameters like you wrote it, I would have to specify a minus-value in the Distance for Top Offset. This is not allowed.

If there is no negative value allowed, then my approach is not working.

What we do is to do the gun drilling first, so we first machine the second step and then the first one.

This works without any negative values Smiley Wink

The order of operations is as follows:

1. pilot hole
  2. gun drill
  3. hole milling the counter bore
Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Hello!

To set the Rapto Offset to Auto or not is not the solution. With my third operation I have to start at -10 and the drilling-depth should go to the hole modeldepth. In the moment I'm not able to do this. I think the only way would be tell the system, how a pre-drilling diameter with the same diameter as in the actual operation has to be handled: Run in or not run in. May be in another case the tool should start at the depth of the second operation. But if we work with gun-drill the order and the process has to be like I described it.

I've created it with NX10.0.3.5 MP2.

Werner

Hallo Werner,

This is how I would do it (hoping that I correctly understood your requirements):

- For the 3rd deep hole drilling operation, set the Control Point to "Machining Feature" (at the top)

- In Cutting Parameters set Rapto Offset to 10.0 mm (the depth of the top diameter)

I switched off the first and last cut segments in the cycle to minimize any confusion.

Let us know if this works for you.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I think this should work. But it's irritiating that this two variants come to the same result in toolpath:

Allways if we change to MODEL_DEPTH we get something from the 3D-tool-model in. Do you know this?

This if funny too:

Do you know a reason for the difference that we get in nativ OOTB and in our TC? The result that we get in TC is OK, the native result is not OK. Is this the reason, why you have deleted the chamfer in your CAM-part?

Thank you.

Werner

Hallo Werner,

There is obviously something wrong when the software shows part of the 3D solid model in the wrong location together with the in-process feature as your images show. Please share your 3D tool assembly part file and we'll investigate what's going wrong when you use MODEL_DEPTH.

The top chamfer doesn't exist in the part file that I uploaded from this discussion thread. My guess is that you have added the top chamfer at a later point in time. The update feature recognition re-recognizes the modified geometry but does unfortunately NOT automatically add extra faces; in this case the extra chamfers (we have a high priority ER for this). To make it work with the chamfer, you must go to the Machining Feature Navigator, delete the 2 features and re-specify the geometry in the operations. I am pretty sure that this is not related to using either a Native or a TC workflow.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Hello Tom,

in attachement you get four of our tools. I've tried it in NX OOTB, I get the same error if I change to MODEL_DEPTH. I've also tried it with or without CUTTING, NON_CUTTING, CUTTING_SPUN and NON_CUTTING_SPUN. No difference.

Can you tell me one additional thing? With PTP-Drilling the users get a pretty overview of the drilling-depth in the different navigators:

With Holemakng they have nothing:

Do you have a solution for this?

Werner

Learn online

Solution Information