Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Holemaking Template Opens on some parts

As the title suggested, with some parts that I work on, as I save the part, I get a dialog to also save my holemaking template. Its like, by using holemaking operations, it also loading the template into nx but if I try to tab over to the Template window ( that you would assume would be there since its asking me to save it upon closer) its not there. 

Also just a question. If I have a part that has machining data on it and then I go to make an assembly with it, why am I prompted to load my machining templates into the assembly? Same story as before, if I try to window over to them to close them, they are not there. 

Why is this happening. 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Holemaking Template Opens on some parts

Template parts are always opened invisible to the user, just ignore the notification to save them.

You could also save your template files in the current NX release to be no longer prompted to save them.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Ahh is that what it is, just outdated? Any info on why the templates show up in assemblies?

IIRC -

They show up because in the "create (operation/tool/geometry/method/...)" dialog, you had selected "holemaking".  So NX opens the operation template part in the background.

Typically every major release has new operation template parts.  So the question (to me) is - "Why are you still using the old version's operation templates?"

Note you CAN see them in a couple places - e.g. in NX10 choose the "Windows" drop down in the title bar -> "More..." -> look thru the list

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I use them because I customize them so I don't have to keep filling in parameters I use on ever part. It there a better way to customize operations so that when a MR comes out I don't have to copy the old templates into the new ones? 

Note MRs should NOT trigger the "save" message - only major version changes (NX10 to NX11) should trigger this.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Well that makes sense. I made those templates in NX10. Is there a better way to do it though so that when updates are released, I can transfer my settings to the (sometimes) new operation? Example: I have my cavity mill operation fairly customized. Lets say they added a new function to it that I want to incorporate into my current custom cavity mill operation. Is there a way to do this or am I stuck having to side my side compare old to new operations?

[ Edited ]

Imperial wrote:
Well that makes sense. I made those templates in NX10. Is there a better way to do it though so that when updates are released, I can transfer my settings to the (sometimes) new operation? Example: I have my cavity mill operation fairly customized. Lets say they added a new function to it that I want to incorporate into my current custom cavity mill operation. Is there a way to do this or am I stuck having to side my side compare old to new operations?

There is a utility to help you with the comparison. 

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/Utilites-to-Compare-and-Set-Opera... 

If your customization is mainly data, and not UI, I would apply your changes to the new template.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information