Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrendous quality toolpath...

Innovator
Innovator

Hi Folks,

This is what I've got using the streamline toolpath. The surface that you see is defined as the cut area. The top and bottom curves are used as the Flow Curves, and the two extreme curves as the cross curves, then I've generated 10 flow curves and 10 cross curves. Then the streamline toolpath was generated. I'm sure that all of you know where I'm wrong here, so please shoot... I need to get this running soon.

What I'm struggling with is also the multiple tool paths that seem to touch the wall and a multitude of tiny moves. I've tried to add smoothing to the entry and exit, but all the tool paths touch the wall. I'm sure there should be some thing I'm missing.

Thanks a lot,

StreamlineToolpath.PNGToolWindow1.PNG

ToolWindow2.PNG

Best regards,
Naresh
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Horrendous quality toolpath...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello
Could you please upload the part? With those pictures it is very difficult to comprehend.
But i think you should try the Z-Level operation. Maybe this gives a better toolpath.
Watch out with the collision distance. It looks like NX retracts by collisions.
Best regards

Production: {NX 12.0.2.9 MP09}
Testing: {NX 1872.0.0.1500 MP--}

Innovator
Innovator

Hi @Bernhard_Swiss

Unfortunately, I cannot upload the customer part. But I can upload all the other stuff. That is exactly, I'm not happy about. So I've changed many parameters in the Cutting Parameters, Non cutting moves and now I've got this. If you look at the tool path in comparison to the flow lines, its totally pathetic. Even in this there are two points where the tool will gouge the part in the vertical access. 

The zlevel is not going to work since that round at the bottom is at an is curved along the z axis. I want to understand what is wrong in the streamline and why the streamlines are so nice and the tool path so bad. What can I do to improve it. I'm going to add all the options I've got in the cutting parameters.

Thanks a lot,

Here are the images from the Cut Parameters:

CutParam4.PNGCutParam5.PNGCutParam1.PNGCutParam2.PNGCutParam3.PNG

StreamlineToolpath2.PNG

Best regards,
Naresh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Naresh,

You could try changing your projection vector to either "normal to drive" or "toward drive" with a small back of distance. Also I have found that Triming the start and end step of the generated streamline surface can help.

Eric

Innovator
Innovator

Hi @RKYMNT8560 Eric,

Thanks a bunch for your advice. I did try that, but the tool path quality is still the same. Additionally, I've tried to look at the tool path preview in the Streamline Dive Method window. and I got some errors, I'm attaching the screen shot of them. I don't know which tolerance its talking about. Do you have any idea which tolerance  I should change?

The interesting thing is that the array of cross curves has been made by interpolation and so have the flow curves... so... ???

Thanks,

FlowIssue01.PNG

Best regards,
Naresh

Legend
Legend

Projection vector (the vantage point you are looking at the surface from) "torward drive" would be what to do here and maybe a distance of 30% of tool how far back from the surface you are looking.

If you were looking at the surface from the tool axis, the walls would be hard to see to the eye, and you would be getting weird glipses of them.... hence weird tool path.

Ive also gotten better results by using only the drive curves, sometimes you can remove the cut area or the part and it smoothes right out. Keep in mind no part your stock allowance or extra passes will not work. The system would not know what to offset from.

Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Innovator
Innovator

Hi @psch_wny, thanks for the response. Of course I understand what you said. I've tried all the permutations of those. If you look at the tool paths and the flow lines in the images, you'll notice a large discrepancy in their smoothness w.r.t. the flow lines. I think that I've got something else messed up, some tolerance that I cannot pindown.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Naresh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Wich NX version did you use?
Have you tested the new guiding curve operation in NX 12.0.2 ?
This should give you a better toolpath.
Is your machine a five axis machine?
Did you use a ball-mill or a toric-mill?
Can you create an example part wich shows this issue?

Production: {NX 12.0.2.9 MP09}
Testing: {NX 1872.0.0.1500 MP--}

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Which version are  you using?  I know you can't share the file, which can make this a little difficult, but here are a couple immediate things we can try first.

First, are you using any sort of IPW in your operation?  I recommend setting this to NONE for Streamline (or any Fixed Axis/Variable Axis Contouring).

Capture.PNG

Second, try adjusting your Intol/Outtol.

2.PNG

I can't quite tell, but is the bottom surface planar (Flow 10)?  If so, have you just simply tried a Z Level Profile with an optimized Cut Level?

1.PNG

Tony Lisle
CAM Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions | PROLIM PLM
Excellence in Siemens PLM Software
Tony.Lisle@Prolim.com
Mobile: (513) 325-2993
Office: (513) 984-0480 ext. 123

Innovator
Innovator

Hi @Bernhard_Swiss,

Version 12.0.2

I've not yet tried the guiding curve, will try tomorrow!

Its a 5 axis machine and I'm using a bull nose toric mill.

Yes, I can make an example but it will take a day or so, am extremely clobbered with work.

Actually, I'm delighted that all of you responded. I was driving home from work so just saw your responses. I'll be online tomorrow morning, central EU time.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Naresh

Learn online

Solution Information