Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Horrendous quality toolpath...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Naresh,

in 12.0.2 you can set the Tilt Tool axis as part of the base operation settings:

avoidance and smoothing inside the operation.jpg

about the issue with Z axis getting too close to the rotary table - you may try to limit the max angle from +ZM (i.e. to 70-80 deg). This control is intended to limit the A/B axis of your machine, but can be used as soft limit to avoid cases as you face here.

Hope this helpSmiley Happy  

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Innovator
Innovator

Hi @Eddy_Finaro @Ken_A

Just to show you what I want to make and the quality of current tool path. Any suggestions to improve it would be highly appreciated.

(view in My Videos)

Best regards,
Naresh

Innovator
Innovator

@Eddy_Finaro

Hi Eddy, thanks a lot for the tip. That menu is only in the guide curves and not in the streamline curves. However, programming that external guide curve with this gave me the following. Using streamline curves is in the last video:

Screenshot 2018-08-20 18.59.34.png

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom

1. around minute 1'50" you show the TTA dialog with max angle for swiveling axis set to 90. change it to 70-80 and your Z axis will not get close to the rotary table.

2. Guiding curves should work here with no problems. from the warning text I see that you are using the 3X Guiding Curves. try using the 5X instead (Mill Multi Axis) and I am sure you will get a better path on the first shot. I assume that the 3X Guiding Curves as well as streamline could be improved, but I need the prt for that (which you probably cannot share..)

my 2 cents, 

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Innovator
Innovator

@Eddy_Finaro

Hi Eddy,

I did try the 80 deg as well as 70 deg. NX removes a lot of passes as a result the surface would no longer get evenly machined.

And I've used the 5X operation. The setup for all the ops was done using generic setup, so it should be 5 axis as well. For me, the guiding curves do not seem to work well on convex surfaces. They do instead work on concave surfaces. The streamlines work on convex surfaces and not on concave.

One other very upsetting thing happened. I did a guide curve tool path and got a pretty looking tool path, but when I ran it through the TTA, the resulting tool path goes beyond the limits of the machine, even though it has nothing to avoid!

As you know I cannot post the .prt on the forum, but I can share parts of the model so long as they're not on the forum.

Thanks

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom

@nashero, the easiest way to give us the data, would be to file an IR in GTAC. There you can upload the part. It will be securely stored on the Siemens servers under the highest possible security and marked as customer parts. So they will only be used for internal investigations.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Innovator
Innovator

@AlexanderFreund

So I'm on GTAC, and I see IR Number box empty, and that I should upload zipped files. What should I include in the .prt file for your folks to see it, meaning how to package it? Does the IR number get generated when someone uploads a part?

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom
Just describe your problem as detailed as you can and note that this IR should be forwarded to Eddy Finaro as the Product Manager. You can upload your parts as .zip or .7z files. The CAD and the CAM part will be helpful.

Cheers,
Alexander
Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Innovator
Innovator

@AlexanderFreund @Eddy_Finaro

I tried to upload the file through GTAC and I couldn't choose the sold-to, so I called my reseller (Majenta PLM from UK) and they took the file from me to forward it to Eddy. So you should get it very shortly. Please let  me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Naresh

Innovator
Innovator

Folks thanks a lot to all those who sent me all the helpful comments. I did manage to do that part and in the process learnt a bit of NXCam!

I've got some more issues, perhaps this requires a new thread. So I'm going to do that shortly.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Naresh

Learn online

Solution Information