cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are others handling mirrored parts

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Periodically the discussion arises about best practice when managing mirrored parts, if there is no design of the mirrored part available.

1. The fastest is to transform the operations for the regular part and change the cut direction to counter clockwise, but this has drawbacks if you are using 3D IPW and other rest milling strategies.
  2. The next would be to copy the geometry objects to be able to use 3D IPW and some such, but one would have to duplicate the program view manually.
  3. Another option is to create a separate setup part and add the mirrored linked body to it, but then you have to reselect the entire geometry.
  4. Paste with reference doesn't work in this case either, but would be a nice option.

What do others do to limit the time needed to generate the tool path for a mirrored geometry?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
7 REPLIES

Re: How are others handling mirrored parts

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Mirroring the wave linked body then reversing the paths is what we have settled on.  It still takes way more time than some of our other software’s, but it does work.  I would also love to hear if anyone else has a better way.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

How about the Machining Center itself. NC/CNC Machines have MACRO'S that can be activated.

MIRROR IMAGE X,Y,Z, and 4 with interlock release is My favorite.

EDS UG V3 -UG V15 UNIX; UGS UG V6 -UG V19 - NX-NX5 UNIX/MS; Siemens NX6-NX11 MS

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

We use "mirror" postprocessor, even for 5axis milling. For al alloys no need to revers tool paths, for titanium - yes. Some time we discuss possibility to revers path inside postprocessor, not so difficult, but in discussions yet.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Depending on the kinematic of the multi-axis machine the part could move below the head and one needs longer tools for the mirrored part, so a solution that you can check with machine simulation is better.

This mostly happens with non-orthogonal tilting heads

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Legend
Legend
If I know I have to make a mirror image I'll do a very detailed job programming the first part. Everything will use geometry boundaries/geometry mill areas.

Only parameters will be defined in operations. Then all you have to do is create the new boundaries and mill areas. Past toolpaths in.
NX11.0.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My experience with imaging an object, (CAD with CAM Operations) or Transforming an Operation (CAM), the Cutter Comp G41 and G42, G40 will have to be edited.

This process is the same as turning your shirt inside out and wearing it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If not imaging at the NC/CNC machine.

I use Create Operation_ Browse,

Then load the original part program operations by using the Sub Routine, Part Template, Operations, created by loading the original part operations into the Operation Navigator and program the imaged part.

Learn online

Solution Information