Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the tool radius in CSE.

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi,

I need to simulate a CNC code not created with any post in NX.

In order to simulate I need to obtain the tool radius. I have tried with getToolParameter("TOOL_NAME","Radius",tool_number), but I get always 0. If I try getToolParameter("TOOL_NAME","Length1",tool_number) I get the tool length.

How can I get the tool radius or diameter? I can't output anything from NX because the CNC code is an external code.

Thanks in advance.

Frank.

9 REPLIES

Re: How can I get the tool radius in CSE.

Legend
Legend

is the machine equipped with Sinumerik 840D?

Nop, it is a heidenhain control.

Regards

Legend
Legend

When I have to simulate an external program I usually:

Create the tools in the simulation assembly

Create the workpiece MCS

Run the simulation with Tools->Simulate Machine Code File

When the tools are called in the part program they are mounted just like during “standard” simulation.

Why do you need tool diameter?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Frank,

after the tool is loaded and the tool correction is activated (using SetToolCorrection) it will be possible to get the tool correction data via getL/Q/ZCorrection and also the Radius via getRadCorrection(). As SetToolCorreciton is calls with a spindle and an adjust register number, the system will return the values from the active tool on the spindle and check the adjust register number in NX CAM for it.

Make sure you have these setting active:

"Simulation Settings"->"Other Options"->"Use Tool Radius for Cutter Compensation"

Hope it does it

Thomas

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

I need the tool radius because I am implementing the heidenhain cycle 208 and to simulate it I have created a subprogram 208.h where I have programed the helical movement. The first move is to the center of the hole, the 2nd move is in X axis until the tool is tangent to the hole, so I need to move X axis the hole radius minus the tool radius. The hole radius is a parameter of the cycle and I have it in a Q variable.

Thank You Thomas, I think it is a good solution. If the use tool radius for cutter compensation is active, I have the radius in the getRadCorrection() command. That's what I need.

Regards
Frank.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thomas,

I am having a similar problem with getRadCorrection().  There is no "Use Tool Radius for Cutter Compensation" in the synchronization manager for 2 channel programs.  I know we can post the two channels and run with external file, but is there another way to include the radius compensation in the synchronization manager?

Thanks,
Jeff

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thomas,

I am having a similar problem with getRadCorrection().  There is no "Use Tool Radius for Cutter Compensation" in the synchronization manager for 2 channel programs.  I know we can post the two channels and run with external file, but is there another way to include the radius compensation in the synchronization manager?

Thanks,
Jeff

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Jeff,

in the Synch-Manager you have limited ways to debug, but the tool radius itself should be available the same way as in ISV.

You are right with the fact, that the setting "Use Tool Radius for Cutter Compensation" is not available in the simulation settings in Synch-Manager; this need to be enhanced.

So you should get the tool radius only (using SetToolCorrection) for all operations working with the appropriate setting in: "Non Cutting Moves" -> "More" -> "Cutter Compensation" and "Custom Location" other than "None" plus the check box "Output Contact/Tracking Data"

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Learn online

Solution Information