Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i output blank geometry stock size?

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi

i want to output data about blank geometry stock size.

how can i make custom command?

is this possible??

selected blank geometry type is 'Bounding block' and 'Bounding cylinder'.

Please teach me.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How can i output blank geometry stock size?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I know two way to solve your task

1. Add UDE with few fields, for example for Heidenhaine you must to output BLK FORM and 6 values for min-max XYZ. Or - you can use 3 fields for XxYxZ box size, or R(D) anв L for cyl stock. And - you can output these values to nc-programm or as comment line for CNC-operator. BUT. All values you must to put into fields manually.

2. More difficult way. You can link DLL library for your postprocessor and inside NXOPEN application measure dX dY dZ for your stock (I cannot remember just now exact API function name) - and output values as you want to CNC-prog AUTOMATICALLY.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

While not as easy (from a "creation of the blank geometry" perspective) , I have done this using pre-defined (modelled) solids or sketches for blank geometry.

You can then use expressions in the post to get the values required.

Note to get the origin point for a block (which is not save as an expression, as far as I can tell), I created a point expression to one corner, then used that expression + length/width/height values.

Use MOM_ask_ess_exp_value in the post.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is a newer option for defining a bounding block and bounding cylinder that will give you the sizes you are looking for. In the Geometry group of the Home tab, expand the left node of the two commands there and select the Bounding Body command. Or, if you can't find this based on my description, try typing in "Bounding Body" in the Command Finder.

The Bounding Body function will allow you to create bounding blocks or cylinders around any body you select similarly to how this currently works when defining a blank in the Workpiece geometry group. The difference, however, is that the bounding body you create actually puts the body in the active layer. So now that the body is CAD geometry that can be seen, selected and modified in a visible layer rather than a parameter with no physical object under a dialog, this body can then be analyzed for whatever measurement NX offers. Length, width, cylinder diameter and even volume can be measured. To then use this bounding body as your blank geometry, select Geometry from the drop down menu in the Blank Geometry dialog and select your body.

As I stated before, this is a newer command that was implemented in NX11 and so this all depends on what version of NX you are currently running.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"As I stated before, this is a newer command that was implemented in NX11 and so this all depends on what version of NX you are currently running."

In NX 9 and 10, it is called "create box". But I don't think a bounding cylinder was an option in NX 9... Looks like the command was upgraded and renamed in NX 11.

Learn online

Solution Information