Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do the FBM assign the color attribute to the recognized features?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

To manage your manufacturing colors with automatic face attribute application use either face color management or manufacturing geometry.

Both are part of the tooling design applications, but don't need a special license.

This way you can set colors and get face attributes for FBM for free ;-)

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Stefan, I have tried this function, I found some weakness here:1. It's covers all of machine Strategy in one table, many of  us even didn't use one of machine strategy in FBM. So I think it's best way to separate different type of machine strategy likes we do it in MKE.  2.It's not easy to exchange color and face attribute to each other.many mould company need to change it's color Process Instructions or change the color of  standard part library. 3.I think the best solution is base on Manufacturing process stategy .and It's to complicated in NX now,I have to reconstruct it.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I just post a file to prove it's important separate machine Strategy based on color is more good than attribute. I'm trying to do some automatic programming in some complex mould part now.if MKE didn't provide color recognition method something like that. maybe we have to find a easy to  way to match color and attribute.

How will you restore colors, if they get lost?

You can remove color within a split second, but face attributes are not so easy to remove.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Machine part have many type of situation.1.one company use same software,most of mould company use UG, So it's the same way to restore color and attribute, the attribute is background info about machine process,and the color is foreground info about machine process. We can have two method to have  machine process info.but if you considerate the cavity and core part of the mould. it's best way to use color as machine process info carrier.nnn2.jpg

2.one company use different software, the color can carried from one to another software, but the attribute won't follow.many hole need to be machined you have to set attribute for many faces.

Now which option will you chose to carry the machine process info generally?

How would you go from this:

01_color_unified.PNGColor Unified

Back to this:

02_color_reset.PNGColor Reset

If you only have color?

If you get parts from customers, you can create a NX Open utility that analyses the color of the faces and adds the appropriate manufacturing attributes based on the customers color scheme.

I have done something similar for holes of STEP imported bodies, where no color was applied. The user only needed to select the type of hole and one face of a hole to get the correct machining process.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I know what's your mean, base on the situation of FBM now, it's only way to use attribute to set machine process info on a face, But i strongly recommend that we can have another way to use color to set machine process info(File a ER). or have a better way to exchange color and attribute to each other.

In addition, when you have a STEP4POCKET with a thread on step 4 and a fit face on step 2, how do you get that information?

If a simple thread feature is available, FBM stores the information about the thread step being 4 in the FBM feature as THREAD_DIAMETER_NR.

For the fit face you would have to create a custom NX Open utility to check the faces of the feature and add the information to the FBM feature.

Since the FBM feature is automatically inheriting face attributes, this is very easy, since you just add the fit location as face attribute.

We also use color to visualize face usage, but the face attributes added by face color management or inherited from the pocket body of the MoldWizard standard parts are the real information source.

If you mainly deal with foreign, color-coded bodies, I would suggest to invest in developing the following NX Open utility:

• add simple thread features to faces that are marked as threads
  • add machining attributes to each type of face
    • cooling, oil, air, grinding, milling, roughing, etc.
  • add location attributes to fit faces of holes

Using the new drilling operations you just have to know the number of the cylinder the operation should machine, so being able to know that FACES_CYLINDER_2 must be machined with reaming or similar is of great benefit.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Stefan,Thank you so much! You are genius about FBM, I'm trying to create a tool for many mould company or machine company , So I need a certainly way to assume the way(a better way) can get the result to the end.I already know how to do it now.

Learn online

Solution Information