cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you handle multi-turret post processers?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was able to create a post processer for a mill turn with a subspindle. It took me a while, but I got it done. One of the next machines I might be working on is a nakamura tome wt150 similar to the previous machine, but has a y axis and another turret.  I should be able to handle the y axis, but I have no idea how to do the extra turret. I would like to use the sync manager in siemens because it looks helpful. In order to use it do you have to have a machine simulation set up? Since it looks in your post, do you need to have any special information in there? Is there a way in post builder to output 2 files for each turret or do I have to make my own tcl code? Also if anybody has a two turret fanuc post they would like to share I would appreciate it.

Using NX 8.0.3.4
3 REPLIES

Re: How do you handle multi-turret post processers?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Extra turret - at least 2 options:

- Separate set of posts, use "Head" UDE to switch (simplest to understand & debug, but you end up with twice as many posts)

- Use same posts, but add code at beginning to check which turret in use & alter as appropriate (e.g. switch G2 & G3, or mirror X axis, or whatever) (more complex to learn to do, but I do it all the tie)

Note you should specify a different "machine tool view" turret object for each turret (along with pockets, if desired)

Sync manager - I believe this should work without having a machine model / IS&V set up.

Output files: "2 files for EACH turret" (that's what you said), or "2 files, one for each turret" (what I think you want).  The latter is automatically done by the sync manager.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have been looking at sim13_turn_4ax_fanuc_cam_in.prt and have been understanding it a little better. one thing I noticed in the file is that the simulation just does each channel without any waiting in between. Shouldn't the simulation show the second turret wait until the first turret is done roughing the od before it does it's operation? It looks like it should according to the sync manager.

Also I did see that the example post processor outputs 1 file as ken said. So now how does the sync manager know what to name the posts. in the example it was channel1 and channel2 extendions.  If your machine has sync codes, then how does it know what they are as well.

When I go to post processing, my posts work fine, but when I try to select the post for the sync manager I get errors, like it can't find an expressions or can't open output file. (I used MOM_open_output_file in my post). It seems like your limited with MOM commands. Is there a way to get around this?

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Simulation - thru the toolbar, or thru sync manager? 

Using toolpath or G&M code?

I din't think the simulation uses sync codes unless you simulate thru the sync manager?

Also probably won't sync if you are using the internal toolpath.

There is a proc in the post to merge the 2 files back together (look in the "Program end" section of the "main" post, but be careful of the logic required). 

Channel 1 & 2 come from the channels assigned to the (machine tool view) turret objects

I've had a lot of issues with Sync manager not behaving as a "normal" post.

1) I would not rename the output files, except after they are combined

2) Part attribute mom variables are NOT defined when posting thru sync manager (although I've not had issues with expressions, but I'm on NX7.5)

3) note there are MANY ways the post gets run

a) "Postprocess" (how its normally done - i.e. outside sync manager)

b) when sync manager STARTS (so it can get events and G&M code to display)

c) when you post from within sync manager dialog

d) when you click on Simulate and are using G&M code simulation

e) probably other places as well

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information