Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Update a Customized Machining Template File When There is Update in NX OOTB Template File

Hello All,

I have  questions about updating customized machining template file.

Q1:

I have a machining template file called "TapHole.prt" that include many machining operations from the NX out-of-the-box template file "hole_making.prt". We customized the dialogs of those operations in the "TapHole.prt" file.

Now we installed a new NX version, and there are changes in the operations in the "hole_making.prt" file (e.g. new features, etc.). However, these changes are not automatically made to the operations that we have already included in the "TapHole.prt" file.

If we want to update those operations in the "TapHole.prt" file, do we need to start over, create a new template file, and make all the changes we have made to the operation dialogs again?

Q2:

We are working on those NX files on network. What we do is that we copied the out-of-the-box files from local install location to the network. We find that since NX 10, updates in the library files or the out-of-the-box files have been stored in a seperate folder "Update". So to use those updated template files, do we need to copy them to the network folder every time there is update?

Thanks,

Kai

7 REPLIES

Re: How to Update a Customized Machining Template File When There is Update in NX OOTB Template File

RE: Q1

You have a choice

- update the operations to include the changes in the "hole_making.prt" (note you may have to re-customize the dialogs).  Search the NX docs for "update from template"

- start over from scratch and re-apply your changes to new operations re-created from "hole_making.prt"

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Re: How to Update a Customized Machining Template File When There is Update in NX OOTB Template File

[ Edited ]

Thanks for you reply, Ken. It seems that we do have to apply all the changes again no matter in which way.

So if we do in the first way, after we apply all the changes to the operations in the updated "hole_making.prt" file, we just move that file to the same folder where the "TapHole.prt" file is in, and then we will receive all the PR fixes?

I don't understand this 100% (maybe Mark Rief can comment?)

Note I also don't really know how the whole \update\ folder thing works either, but...

But you kind of have to "work up" from the NX templates, thru your templates, to your parts.

Say the planar_mill.prt has an operation "MILL_PLANAR"

Now you made a template part "my_template_simple.prt" with an operation "MY_SIMPLE_PLANAR" based on the operation "MILL_PLANAR"

Now you made a template part "my_template_try2.prt" with an operation "MY_TRY2_PLANAR" based on the operation "MILL_SIMPLE_PLANAR"

Now you used those operation templates in a part program (i.e. you created operations "MILL1" from "MY_SIMPLE_PLANAR" and "MILL2" from "MY_TRY2_PLANAR") in part "My_actual_program.prt"

what you need to do is

1) Update hte Siemens template parts wherever you have them (if you work directly from the install folder, you don't have to do anything.  If you have your CAM customizations on a network drive, copy the template parts from the install folder there)

2) Update the "first generation" template parts

- open "my_template_simple.prt" and run the update option.  Then edit the operations as desired and save the part.

3) Update "second generation" template parts

open "my_template_try2.prt" and run the update option.  Then edit the operations as desired and save the part.

...keep going thru all generations of template parts...

n) Once all the template parts are updated, you can update actual programs (e.g "My_actual_program.prt")

Note starting with your templates and updating them *may* be a bit better, as *most* settings you set should remain as you set them (what you may have to re-customize is the dialog display, and any *new* settings that have been added).  Whereas if you start making new templates from scratch (from the Siemens supplied ones) you have to set EVERYTHING all over again.

Note at each step (if possible) I'd try posting (or exporting internal toolpath) and comparing to the same from previous version, to make sure they didn't "fix" something in a (for you) "bad" way ;-) (hint hint, nudge nudge, "trust but verify")

Kai_Xue wrote:

Q2:

We are working on those NX files on network. What we do is that we copied the out-of-the-box files from local install location to the network. We find that since NX 10, updates in the library files or the out-of-the-box files have been stored in a seperate folder "Update". So to use those updated template files, do we need to copy them to the network folder every time there is update?

It depends on what you copied to the server.

If you only copied the resource folder, and redefined UGII_CAM_RESOURCE_DIR (recommended), then you should be fine. The system will look for the updates folder in UGII_CAM_BASE_DIR, which should be with the original installation.

OOTB, the system will look in the updates folder first, then the resource folder, unless you change the customer defaults. You should NOT edit any files in the updates folder.

If you want to merge the changes from updates in to your customized templates, do so, and then turn off the customer default, so that the system does not check the updates folder.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Kai_Xue wrote:

If we want to update those operations in the "TapHole.prt" file, do we need to start over, create a new template file, and make all the changes we have made to the operation dialogs again?

If you only made dialog customizations, then start with our new operations, customize from, and select your custom operations. That will give you our parameters with your dialog. But you might miss something new that we added.

If you modified the operation parameters, then you need to decide. As Ken says, it's a manual process. I suggest that if you do this, keep a record of everything you adjust, and use it as a checkist.

For more, be sure you read "Tool path and template changes" in the Release Notes.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Another suggestion.

If you can figure out the parameters, and the oper types are "journal-able", create journals of all  the edits you make.

- it documents your changes

- if approprately edited, you can re-run the journals in the new version to re-create everything

- if doing a bunch of similar ops (e.g. tapping or thread milling or ?), you can define the data in arrays and just loop thru to set up operations for all the individual sizes.

Ken

Hello @Ken_A and @MarkRief,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I have been thinking about it, I will get back to you if I have further questions.

Thanks,

Kai

Learn online

Solution Information