cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change Angle of Engage in TURNING

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm trying to change the angle of engage to limit the tool crash into the blank as much as possible. The first path seems to be okay, but the second path always sticks to that angle (in the picture).  You can see the Blue Dash Line perdicular to Cutting Path ( and I dont want this)

How to change that angle to almost same as cutting angle (currently at 153 degree)? Please help me!

Also, the Engage option in Non Cutting Moves, can some please explain how this works? I'm much appreciated.

photo Untitled_zpsterry9a6.jpg photo Untitled1_zpspsnrs2pa.jpg

10 REPLIES

Re: How to change Angle of Engage in TURNING

I don;t see any engage moves in the picture - they would be yellow. The blue moves are approach, departure, traversal, or return moves. 

It looks like you have changed your engage moves from automatic to user defined with zero length, which would eliminate them. 

Did you try the out of the box defaults? Or linear automatic?

Turning is very dependent on the IPW and containment. If you are not familiar with these, I recommend you at least go through the Turning tutorial, found in Menu > Help > Manufacturing Tutorials. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hello Mark, Thank you for your response
I did go through the Manufacturing in Turning Tutorial, but none showed me the idea of how to use Engagement
I'm just wondering what is Engage of Profiling/Blank/Part/Safe? how to use these Angles correctly?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

1) Set all the engage types to "automatic" and see what happens  I would tend to leave them all at automatic (or for profile I sometimes set to "auto arc") unless I have a specific reason to change them.

2) Angle is meaningless if distance = 0.  Set distance to .1" (or 1 or 2 mm) to actually see the engage move

3) If you have docs set up, hit the "F1" key when this dialog is up.  You should get to the docs that describe the various settings.

4) Profile is for finish/profile passes.  I almost always set the other 3 (part/blank/safe) to be identical

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you Ken!

Pioneer
Pioneer

I encountered this issue. Whatever Angle of Engage I changed, the RED Engage doesn't get affected. It always stays the same like that. I'm wondering how to change that angle? Because I don't think it's safe to keep it that way.

photo Untitled_zpsq87oxvdj.jpg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

How about using an arc that is tangent to the approach?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer
This is roughing. The engage type is controlled by Blank, and it doesn't have Arc option.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What does the non-cutting moves dialog look like?

Make sure to expand all the blocks

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer
I did try to modify the Engage Angle for Profile/Blank/Safe/ Plunge, but none of them worked

Learn online

Solution Information