cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert Mastercam *.TOOLDB tool database to nx tool database

Legend
Legend

Hello,

it is possible to translate such tool database to nx ?

If yes, how ?

thank you

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #
2 REPLIES

Re: How to convert Mastercam *.TOOLDB tool database to nx tool database

I don't know of a progrma to do that. 

If it is a readable text file, then with excel and/or a good text editor, you could probably put it in our format.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Re: How to convert Mastercam *.TOOLDB tool database to nx tool database

The Mastercam ".tooldb" file is not ASCII text. It is a SQLite Database. This is a compact, single file, that is self-contained. You would have to write some SQL queries to extract the data. It isn't hard to do if you know how to form a proper Query, but it can get a little complex when you start needing Inner and Outer Joins, and other long commands to manipulate the data.

But...

Something that is highly in your favor is that SQLite started as a TCL Extension!

http://www.sqlite.org/tclsqlite.html

Since there are a ton of people on this forum that know TCL, I would bet you can find someone that can help with the code creation for a Import Utility for a Mastercam Tool Database file. I used to work at CNC Software, and know the manager of the Tool Database Team. So I could help answer some questions about how Mastercam stores the Tool, Holder, and Assembly Data. I'm assuming you are looking to create a .DAT file with parametric tool definitions?

Mastercam does also store custom tool geometry, either on a Level in the Mastercam file itself, or as a separate "Mastercam File", with just a single Tool and Holder definition. Those custom tools don't get stored in the ToolDB file, so that would be the only real limitation I can think of...

Learn online

Solution Information