Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a list 3D Holder to use in NX CAM???

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, every member

I just study NX CAM, I want to create a list 3D Holder from 3D step file ( this file I get from tool maker Sandvik, Haimer...)?

Please help me a guide for do it

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How to create a list 3D Holder to use in NX CAM???

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Use this set of instructions from the online documentation to learn this.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/1872/nx_help#uid:xid1128418:index_mfggeneral:xid3847...

This guide will help you throught the steps of creating solid tools for your libraries. Keep in mind, however, that the tool path generated is always based upon the ASCII tool definition. The associated solid assembly is for gouge/collision checking and simulation after the tool path has already been created.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you so much

@conrongnho124 

Do want to use step models to create a solid tool assembly part file or to create parametric tools for the library?

If you want to create parametric tools for the library then I suggest also taking alook at this thread...

Sample vb program to create mill holder from curves or solid

I have used this method to create accurate parametric models and it works great.  If you try this method be sure to follow the instructions closely. The image below is showing a Schunk Tendo slim hydraulic holder with a Schunk Tribos slim extension, from my parametric tool library, and was created using step files from Schunk.  I feel confident using 1 mm holder clearance if needed.  I don't recommend defining the holder's taper and flange; I did it for visual documentation and when customers are visiting and looking over my shoulder so it looks nice Smiley Happy

Image 5.png

NX 12.0.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Mould_United  Thank you so much

I want to create a Holder library from 3D .step file.

because I have many 3D .step file holder   

By the way, if you define the tool taper it will make the holder position in a machine simulation incorrect but there is a Z offset setting which you can use to correct this. I hope this helps.
NX 12.0.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Mould_United @jkane1 

I just try to created 3D solid tool but I have problem : No write access to library

Please give me some advice for this case ?

HSK100A-D20R0.PNG

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The libraries are files in the OS (assuming you're not using MRL), and the location is defined by several ENV files (depending on exactly which library you are dealing with)

You probably don't have write access to the folder and/or files, and/or the files are set "read only"

If you installed NX into C:\Program Files\..., your PC may be configured to give to "read only" access to that tree.

ENV variables of interest (look in your syslog: File -> Help -> Log file) start with UGII_CAM_*:

UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_DIR        C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_ASCII_DIR  C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\ascii\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_GENIUS_DIR C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\genius\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_INCLASS_DIR C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\inclass\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_ENGLISH_DIR C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\english\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_METRIC_DIR C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\metric\
    UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TOOL_GRAPHICS_PATH C:\wherever\mach\resource\library\tool\graphics\

If you are going to want to share the libraries / setup with others, I would suggest using the UG Custom setup, available here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/NXcustom-Utilitie...

Find the link to your NX version, download the ZIP, and read the README at the top level...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Find the following directory in Windows Explorer.

Program Files-->Siemens-->NX-->MACH-->resource-->library-->tool

Right-click on the tool folder and select Properties. At the bottom of the tool Properties dialog, click the Read-only box to clear it. Click Apply then click OK.

You should now be able to put your tools in the libraries.

Learn online

Solution Information